1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hellhound Sculpture- Completed

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Knuxtiger4, Mar 2, 2010.

1. I've had this project for about a good year or so and finally I have some time to work on it! So my idea was to make my version of a real hellhound and the point is to make it so life-like that people would really think it exist. I find it funny a bit because people have supposedly seen hellhounds in NJ. (Anyone who had the Weird NJ book know what I'm talking about)

I using animal parts like my others this one includes:
    -Wolf Skull
    -Deer Antlers
    -(Possible) Deer Vertebrates and Ribs

Here's the rough concept sketch I did of it, beware, my writing is small but has a lot of information on it.
    [​IMG]

Some people have suggested me putting in exposed muscles on it as well. I was possible think around the rib area, unless someone can suggest something better. The muscles will be made from air dry clay and will be painted, I might use jaw juice on it to make the muscle look real too.

I'm also still on the fence with using a real coyote pelt, problem is getting one dark like the fur and getting one to fit my form I ordered. I already had people tell me its very hard to dye real fur, so I'm hoping to find a dry tanned one that is close in color. I usually used faux fur on my sculptures, but I just haven't been good with covering up the seem lines and that they didn't feel real. If I do use one, I guess it then it becomes a rogue taxidermy piece.

I'll be updating this thread from time to time as I work on it, so it is a work in progress.

I should be getting my form on Thursday, so hopefully I can start work on it this weekend. Except a lot to get done around mid-March.

2. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Now for some updates!

I finally got everything I need to make the hellhound now! Thanks to Gator Dun for the Deer Vertebrates and for Sivkofur for the dark coyote pelt and hide paste. But yes, I have photos of most of the supplies and some progress done on it.

Here's all the supplies, except the wolf skull and deer antlers, I'll add them in later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes leaning it on my stack of college textbooks on my heart stool.)

This will be my first all animal part sculpture I'm doing, I guess it is rogue taxidermy now. Point intended, trying to make this gal creepy but life like enough to make people think its real.

Parts include:
    -Wolf Skull
    -Deer Antlers
    -Deer Vertebrates
    -Deer Ribs
    -Coyote Pelt

Note also that all animal part will not go to waste at all, some I'll resell or give to people, while others are going towards my werewolf costume.

And he's some progress I did:
    [​IMG]

I carved out a channel on its back for the vertebrates to fit on. There a few vertebrates that are missing because I ran out of room, but these are not middle one, rather beginning and end vertebrates.

I need help on when I do cut the pelt, should I just tuck the fur in the channel or should I trim it so that it look great with the vertebrates. I think just tucking in in the channel will be better. I'm also having trouble with get the form to stand without wobbling. I hoping when the pelt is on it might change that. I also need to add weight to the end to balance it, that wolf skull is heavy.

And final news, I decided to wire red LEDs light inside the skull to give it glowing eyes, my good friend is helping me out on it, that won't be done until the end of the week. This altogether might be done by this weekend if possible.

Feedback is appreciated.

3. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Re: Hellhound Sculpture

I'm watchin this one
    Are you going to sell the coyote head part of the pelt :)

And tucking the fur I think would be a good idea :D

4. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

really digging this project

5. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Might be using it for my werewolf costume if it works. I chopped the foam head off for that purpose. But if it don't works out, probably going to sell it.

And tonight I going to glue the antlers to the skull and get some clay around it to make them blend into the skull. I have to pick up some "Bone" color paint at AC Moore. I'll update with before and after pictures of her head.

Since it is getting warm this week, probably be Wednesday I'm going to rehydrate the hide and Thursday will be the day I get it on the form. Friday I'm going to have my friend come and help me get the LED set up and then I glue the head in. Really aiming for the weekend to get it done!

6. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Very Cool. I am glad you could find what you needed... Looking good already!

7. Silverose01

I'll buy the head piece of the form of ya :)
    I use those alot

8. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

im jealous of that spine, i think ill clean bones today

9. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Actually using it for the werewolf costume too, attempting a moving jaw mask and trying to make it look real to really scare people, but worse cause it don't work out. Already started carving it too.

And that spine is awesome, just looking at it make me feel like this will be my best project.

And thank you, I know you were trying to help me out when I was looking for supplies.

10. Silverose01

Are you going to put anything on the skull
    Stain? Flesh?

11. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Thanks for buy from us, hope you were sastisfied with your purchase and our service. After our phone conversation i was honestly having a hard time picturing in my mind what you were attempting to do. I understand better now based on your sketch its a cool idea. Will be interesting to see how it comes out. Good luck, Bob

12. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Nope, just going to be the wolf skull attached to the neck. The deer antler will be glue on the skull where I'll make look as if it grew antlers. I think the coolest feature will be the glowing eyes. My friend think he can fit the LEDs in a little hole where the eyes would have been. (Assuming these are where the eyes are connected to the brain maybe?) Either that or I said mount LEDs inside the brain cavity by where the eyes would have been.

Yeah the sketches help with what I meant. The pelt is really nice, I'm going to feel back taking the head off, but I'm going to try my best not to waste it. =) I'll be sure to tell you when it is done Bob and thanks again for the paste and pelt.

13. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Oh I cannot wait to see this finished! Wish I was still going to school, I'd have loved to do something like this back then.

14. Silverose01

How are you goin about hiding wires and the leds?
    Are you using glass eyes?

15. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Are you going to make the LED setup from scratch? Have a look into these, they are pretty neat. "Nite Eyes" kit

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/85001100/nite-eyes-lighting-system

16. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

I think I'm going to watch this one too!

17. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Its greta to here a lot of you guys want to see progress on her. =) As of the LEDs, my friend is wiring them, he has done this many times with his cars, so he said it would not be a problem. As of eyes, no eye, just the mere glowing to make an illusion if there was eyes on it. And also to add, this isn't a school project, rather a very big one I had planned for about a year ago.

And now updates!

Here's pictures of the wolf skull and the set of antlers I'm using. Also include is where they will be located.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (My hand is small)
    [​IMG]
    If you can see, there's a little hole by the eye area, my friend is tell me that would be a good spot to put the LED, but we'll see.

Also I really in opinions on how to get the fur on, someone suggest do shots on the pelt back to make the vertebrates stick out, but I think tucking in in the channel I made will be better.

Originally I was going to do a dorsal cut on the pelts back and basically slip the pelt on like a sock to a foot if you know what I mean.

18. Silverose01

have you started putting the skin on ? :)
    This is really interesting!

19. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA

If it were me I'd cut a channel like you did fill it level with critter clay (or good lowshrink air dry clay), position the vertebrae and sink in the clay as desired, then dorsal cut the coyote and tuck the seam as alongside the bones. Sculpt, paint, and voila. I think the clay line would look neat if sculpted to look a bit like armor plating with the bones sticking out. Neat idea you've got going either way.

20. Silverose01

Nice idea
    I think that a flesh or muscle tissue look would be good in the clay beneath the vertebrate
    Would give it a natural look and add to the detail