1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hellhound Sculpture- Completed

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Knuxtiger4, Mar 2, 2010.

1. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    Re: Hellhound Sculpture

That would be a nice look too. Especially if going with the exposed muscle idea.

2. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Well I actually had to do my research with what a hellhound looks like. I got was "A black dog with glowing red eyes". Since mine is a girl, I thought she would have a lighter fur color, smaller antlers and such. A male, if I even do one would have bigger antlers and much more bone exposed. As far as I read, they are not zombie dogs, even thought a lot of media picture them as flash exposed dog. Going for a natural approach, plus it would be a pain to cut the pelt to make exposed muscles. But Rebecca, I like that idea, I actually have paper clay laying around that I can use for that.

3. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Maybe just use the clay but make sure the skin covers it up good, and get it real tight against the bone :)
    It would look good with the clean cut look too

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

If you google hellhound you get a million versions, so you can do pretty much whatever you'd like... here's some of the ones I liked best in the first 10 pages...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

The first one I actually seen on deviantART, the rest are interesting. Really I going by what people in the ancient times have described it as. Also I'm making it more natural since I want it to be like something I can take a picture in the woods and it would looks cool.

Fun fact: The next town over on a creepy road, someone kids reported see unnatural dog there, hellhounds.

6. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

I know that second hellhound!
    That's the animal from chronicles of riddick :)

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

I think they're all cool :)

8. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict So many whitetails...So little time!

That's what nightmares are made of! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! :)

9. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

People ask me why I don't have nightmares with some of the creatures I made. I just tell them that they guard my room if anything. My zombie weasel is right above my bed, ready to kill me when I'm asleep.

I'll update tomorrow with whatever I get done.

10. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Another Riddick fan?

*high five*

I love that beast.

11. kinetic

kinetic New Member

I like the glowing eye socket idea!

12. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Another update on progress today. It was not much due to the fact I hiked to some Weird NJ places today which ate most of my day away.

Anyways progress, today I glued Mirage's antler to her head (skull) with gorilla glue. The right antler glued fine, but the left is being a pain in the butt and had to re-glue 3 times already. I'm using masking tape to hold it place due to my lack of clamps. I also got done was filling the cavity with paperclay, an air dry clay and then pressed the vertebrates into it to know where they fit and such. Thanks to Rebecca for suggesting that! Tomorrow I'll probably aiming to add the rock weights in the form, dorsal cut the pelt and rehydrate and also cover the antlers in apoxie clay where once it dries enough, I'll mimic the bone color in paint hopefully. As you can tell in the photos of the antler before glue on (Back on Page 1), they are yellow and impossible to bleach and such.

It was also hard to glue those antlers because they aren't perfectly even with each other, but I managed.

Here's the progress photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

The antlers might have taken easier to being glued in place had you drilled fitted holes into the skull first. I thought that was where you were headed.

But looking good!

14. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Just a tip...

Should have drilled a hole into the skull and into the antler... Slipped a bolt with a big washer up inside the skull and thru the hole then into apoxie or bondo the bolt in a slightly larger hole in the antler. That way it is well supported and not likely to be easily broken off... Then used apoxie clay or similar product to rebuild the repair at the base/skull junction....

Dang it Grygon... you type faster than me!

15. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

But Shelby you explain better than me!

16. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

this is so cool! watching this one..

17. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

x2. Can't wait to see more progress

18. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

I don't have access to power tools, nor would my dad let me use them for that matter. I'm not too worried because I find Gorilla glue is powerful stuff and should hold them fine. I was able to fix the antler last night and it glued right. I'll probably update tonight with picture of the skull and the wet hide too.

So rundown to everyone keeping track:

Wednesday- Dorsal cutting the hide and re-hydrating the pelt overnight. Also aiming to get the clay on the skull to make it blend it well. Paperclay also dried, but going to add a few coat of matte coat to the clay so the water doesn't affect it badly. Also add rocks into the form to weight down the backside so when the head is on it doesn't tip.

Thursday- Gluing the pelt to the body, doing this outside because of the nice weather. Gluing the vertebrates and ribs in as well.

Thursday or Friday- Friend is going to help me wire the LED lights in, skull will then be glued onto the form and some carving around the neck and such and it should be close to done.

Saturday- Aiming to be the day I complete it.

19. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Also quick question, need an answer to it soon, when I do the dorsal cut, I want to do it on the tanned side of the pelt, correct? Because I did a tiny bit before rehydrating and I notice the fur was still holding it together. I was using a razor blade/x-atco knife to do it.

Pelt is rehydrating right now, boy does it smell. Also got the rocks in the form.

20. Cygnet

Cygnet New Member

Utah

Yes, cut on the tanned side. If you cut on the hair side, you will be cutting the hair. If you have the pelt lying on a hard surface,hair side down, you will also be cutting thru the hair. Once the pelt is rehydrated, the wet hair shouldn't stick together so much. Good luck, this is an interesting project.