1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hellhound Sculpture- Completed

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Knuxtiger4, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Oops, forgot about the poor tail. Probably wait until it dries and do some wire to make the tail stay up a bit. And those feet will be the end of me I swear, I just can't get them to stay normal but also make the body stand. Its not standing on its feet right now because I want to fix the feet. Do I just need to let them dry or is there something to correct them?

2. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Did you stuff the paws with clay?
    And I looked at something recently, a tutorial about oppossum tails, they used wire and foam with tape to make a tail form :)

3. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

I didn't, but it does make sense. I'll do that right away. And I'll try that with the tail tomorrow.

4. Silverose01

Cool
    Make sure to keep us updated lol
    I look forward to this thread everyday now ;D
    And I can't copy paste from my phone but if u just look for the opossum thread with the little tutorial thing
    The person uses foam from a pool noodle and tape with wire in middle :)

5. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

the tail info is here, i think:
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,204531.0.html
    :)

6. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

I found some wire and going to bend it and such. Paws are fixed, but still having trouble getting her to stand on her own. She not going to be on a habitat display so I just need to figure out how to make her stand on her own.

I heading out to my friend's house later where he's going to help me wire the head with the LEDs. Once that is done, the head will be attached and the ribs will be added. Final touches and fixing and she should be done.

Once complete my brother is going to get some really good photos of her outside. He's got a better camera that my digital camera.

7. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Update with bad news.

My friend spent hours on rigging a LED system and it worked...until the wires came apart when I was gluing the skull on. Apparently the glue didn't dry fast enough and the weight of the skull took the wire with it. :mad:

So no pictures and now I have to find a new way to light it. Also need to find something stronger than Gorilla Glue. I was think some caulking since it might dry fast.

Oh and I cut my fingers several times in the process, thus why my typing is bad today.

8. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

There's a thread in the skulls and skeletons area about a shoulder euro mount. Guy used wire and lug bolts to secure the skull to the neck. Maybe you need to do something like that instead of glue. As Shelby and I told you about the horns (frankly, I'm a little worried that the first hard knock they get they're gonna come off still).

9. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Progress~

10. Silverose01

So the wires came off the leds?
    Maybe try hot glue? For those at least
    Then electrical tape to secure em

Amd id go with the people who know their way around skulls
    Drill into the skull and antlers to attatch. Caulking definitely won't hold

Oh and how are the feet dryin :)

11. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Hot glue is not a great idea for electrical. It needs soldered.

12. Silverose01

Yeah for the actual wires part soldering. Forgot that word
    Hot glue would work though attatching the leds to the skull right?

13. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

It should. Since LEDs don't get very hot.

14. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Ya need to borrow those tools.. The skull needs to be supported by an underlying armature of some sort... Its just too heavy to be attached with glue. Caulking (latex or Silicon) is not a Glue, Its a waterproofer/sealer. Liquid nails would be a good start but you need some sort of metal rod to hold the skull up... Drive a 1/4" metal rod (available at the hardware store) into your form, but first put an bend into it for the skull to slip onto. that way your head is supported. that will stop it falling off and taking your LED work with it.

15. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

:D watching this!

I actually made something similar back in school, but tiny xD used a rat skull and a bunch of cut up rat pelts - honestly it looked terrible in the end haha I rushed it too much. Ever since then wanted to retry the idea on a larger scale or possibly do a fullsize mount of the hell hound I made.

This is turning out really really nicely! I cant wait to see the finished mount :D Are you planning on making a base for it as well?

16. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

Well for one, the feet dried and she's standing on her own outside and inside and also the antlers are well secured. Some gorilla glue to glue it on and then some apoxy clay around them did wonders.

As of my head problem, my dad told me that he might be able to fix the LEDs tomorrow, he's a electrician so I know he can make it work better without risking another fall apart. I think the weight of the skull took the wire apart with it. He also told me he thinks two part epoxy will really keep it in place, plus he know one that might not have a odor either. I do have metal rod left over from when I cut the form, so I'm going to see if I can get to to help support the skull.

I'll be sure to keep you guys post on it. But I think progress will be halted because my spring break is over now, which means college work again and also that I have to get my werewolf mask done before April 10 for a medieval festival at my friends college. Really I just need to glue the head in with the lights and glue the ribs and some vertebrates back on. Weekends I can work on it.

17. Re: Hellhound Sculpture

So, how is everyone?

So you all thought I just stopped updating? Well its been slow, back to the college schedule which is not fun, being an Art Mayor kicks your butt hard. Anyways as of right now, I'm going to glue the vertebrates and ribs tomorrow, hopefully I'll finish and I'll post some pictures.

Saturday I'm aiming to get Mirage completed. Dad is going to help me wire and glue the head on the body and then some finally adjustments and such. My brother even told me he's going to get some really nice photos of it for me, since this will also be posted on deviantART.

Now for a tease, here's a photo of the head glowing when the LEDs didn't fall apart before hand.
    [​IMG]

The photo is bad quality, taken on my mom's Blackberry, but you see the glowing. It's creepier when the room is dark. =D

18. Silverose01

Wow verry creepy ;)
    I had been wantin an update on this! Great work can't wait to see it finished

19. Don Jahner

Don Jahner Well-Known Member

I got a few old nite eyes sets that are a bit different than Van Dykes are selling, if you think it might help ya out pm me and I'll send ya a freebe, don't even mind covering the shipping. mine don't come apart so easly, but they are yellow leds, get yourself a couple reds and solder then in and your good to go, let me know. Don.

if ya want them you best pm me cause i may lose track of this thread.

20. Silverose01

What's the difference in the eyes Don?
    I've never used any nite eyes yet :)