1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hellhound Sculpture- Completed

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Knuxtiger4, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

YES.

I just epoxied the hell out of the cavity I made for the skull, as I speak she is drying right now. This time I epoxied a metal rod which is in the skull now and is hopefully supporting it right now. Some wiring came loose and for the first time I took my hand at soldering the wires back, which I did a good job. I think I know how to wire stuff for future projects.

So right now I'm not in the clearing yet, its just a matter of wait until tomorrow morning to see if the epoxy had worked this time around. If everything works out with the head, some final touches and the matter of gluing a few things back on and she'll be done and ready to get her good photos. As of right now my brother was suppose to come with me to Clinton Road to take pictures, but if he's unable to go, my friend who helped me with the wiring the first time will come with me and take photos for me.

So my way of keep the head up, I used my laundry basket to hold it. Note the jaws will be open, they are not glued, rather helping in supporting the head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I think the head is place right but I don't know, feedback right now would be nice while she is still drying.

2. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

That turned out great so far
    Can't wait to see the final pictures
    You should also take some pictures in the evening, it would look so nice!

3. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Well that my plan. My plan was to get a picture of her at the road, right around Dusk. Should be dark enough to show the eyes, but light enough to show the details of the fur and bones. Really its going to come down to when and how the area is going to affect the lighting.

Right now aiming for Wednesday evening for photos or Thursday, it depends.

4. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

That looks amazing...

what kind of camera do you have? I love shooting in available light but for this project I would loooove to shoot a thousand pictures of it while light painting to get different effects.

5. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

I have a very crappy digital camera, a Sony camera that also shoots video, zooming in on it is very blurry. >_>; Most of the time I just be shooting with the flash on anyways because my room has poor lighting effects. That is why once the bad weather clear that I can get some natural lighting shots outside.

Also that my brother and the friend in question both have really good cameras.

6. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Then ask the brother or friend if their cameras have a shutter-speed setting option and if they know how to light paint. Wish I were closer to you, I'd come over and get you some fantastic shots with my light painting lurve.

7. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

That would be cool. =) I believe my brother know what he is doing, he's good at Photography. And a side note, I have yet to run into anyone from deviantART or here in my state.

Oh, and the hellhound is drying again, trying to fix that dang paw. She in my bathroom which is funny. Mom still thinks it is creepy as hell and my dog think it is really. I not posting the completed photos until I get out on the road with her, and that's not until Wednesday.

I'm keeping you people under suspense until I get those photos. =)

8. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

*watching*

9. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Excellent! This sort of thing is right up my alley, so I'm very stoked to see how it turns out. The LED lights in the eyes will certainly add a horror-esque flare, and I think it's a great idea if you can pull it off without the wires being a distraction.

Are you going to make the spikes on its back out of bone? Because you might also consider using deer or elk tines, to make it appear more dragon-like.

I certainly wouldn't want to run into a hellhoud like this one! ;)

10. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Interesting project...wondering if you plan on doing some exposed flesh areas in and around the ribs?

11. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

The wiring is hidden under the vertebrates and I also used deer vertebrates and bones as the back, which gave it the spikes and such.

Sadly no, it would be a lot of work to cut the pelt so that I could do the exposed flesh. Plus that this one is a gal, so I was going to make her less scary. If I ever do a male, he will be ten times more terrifying. The male would have exposed flesh and a much bigger set of antlers and more exposed bone. But the male, estimating it would run me up to $500 to $700 to make.

Be ready guess, I should hopefully have some photos of her up tonight. Just came back from the photo shoot, I had to take the picture sadly because the weather was going to be bad tomorrow.

12. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

So a quick update. She is indeed done, but I'm not changing the title yet because I'm waiting on my brother to finish the collage of picture that me and him took. See problem was I didn't get any good glowing eye shots when I was out on Tuesday, but yet he got amazing photos of the eyes in our hallway. So last I check, he was collaging them a few hours ago, but he had problems because he needed my Photoshop Elements 7 to do it and yeah, tons of stuff. Yes I could do it myself, but he has more experience in that, plus he know how to crop and clean up photos better than me really.

The plan is once he finishes all that, which should be tomorrow, maybe tonight, he sends the file, I add all the copyrights and my watermark and then it will be posted on the sites that it needs to be.

Also the photos were taking in my hallway, Clinton Road and Jungle Habitat.

13. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

i think its awesome. Jason B notice what section its under, Wildlife Arts and crafts.......This site may be called taxidermy.net but it also has a place for skull cleaners, Painters, Anyone who enjoys wildlife and hunting. I think it takes alot of skill to take an idea like that and make it into something that actually looks really good. Kudos to you knuxtiger4 for being original.

14. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Learn the difference between what? A joke and art?

Because this project is certainly not a joke.
    Maybe you should look up the definitions of art, and taxidermy. You'll find, to your horror I'm sure, that this project fits under both words.

(You also don't seem to understand the definition of 'troll' or 'trolling'. Maybe you should look that up too, because you sure seem to fit the definition.)

15. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

And to add here's what I found on Wiki to clarify this:

Taxidermy- "Taxidermy (from the Greek for classifying skins) is the act of mounting or reproducing dead animals for display (e.g. as hunting trophies) or for other sources of study. Taxidermists may practice professionally, for museums or as a business catering to hunters and fishermen, or as amateurs, such as hobbyists, hunters, and fishermen. To practice taxidermy, one must be very familiar with anatomy, sculpture, and painting, as well as tanning."

Rogue Taxidermy- "Rogue taxidermy is the creation of stuffed animals which do not have real, live counterparts. Many taxidermist do not consider this true taxidermy. They may represent unrealistic hybrids such as the jackalope and the skvader, extinct species, mythical creatures such as dragons, chimeras, griffins, unicorns or mermaids, or may be entirely of the maker's imagination. Some are made from parts of more than one kind of animal, or they may be artificially created. Rogue taxidermy is often seen in sideshows and dime museums among genuine freak animals."

Art- "Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics."

So she is a hellhound, and no you guys think she isn't taxidermy, really she sort of is, but isn't at the same time. I really could careless how much you think is not taxidermy, but she is art if that's the case. Plus if you think this is sick, just look around on google and you'll find sick stuff, like poop in a can.

And everyone has a right to have an opinion on her, I know some of my fellow majors thought it was sick when I told them what she was made out of while others thought it was cool. I know in the world of art, some people will not like your piece while other would die to have it in their house. Either way, she is done now anyways.

16. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Wildlife 1 - That is a perfectly respectable stance. :)

17. Re: Hellhound Sculpture- Nearly Complete!

Well it does look lifelike..

18. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

"Good art is often too broad to fit through narrow minds."

19. hawkflyer

hawkflyer I'm not short, I'm fun sized.

If you will notice the heading of this category says Artwork and Crafts. This was not posted in lifesize mammels. Art is the inspiration of the artist. It's a creation from the heart and mind. Not all art will appeal to all people. It's not supposed to. To claim that you have the authority to differentiate what is and what isn't art, for everyone's benefit, is a bit pretentious to say the least. As for whether or not this is "taxidermy", well natural animal parts were used and most of you consider pieces horrifically done in the pretense of mainstream taxidermy to be a taxidermied piece, so it stands to reason this would be taxidermy as well. There is a saying we learn in kindergarten, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." If this doesn't appeal to you, so be it. That's your right. But to take such a contemptuous attitude toward another person's creation makes you the smaller person. Knuxtiger4, the reason for this category is for the display of different kinds of artwork. If there is anything you wish to share, feel free. If you want to make your livelihood in art you have to learn now to not let the pompous stand in your way.

This was an interesting creation and I'm sure you learned a great deal through it's process. You never know when these little tidbits of knowledge will payoff later.

20. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Here you go folks, some more NON Taxidermy CRAP for you...
    Oh wait - THIS crap got high praise from eveyone!!
    OH WAIT -maybe it's because Anna's not on Deviant Art....
    OH WAIT - YES SHE IS!

[​IMG]