1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

check out this double spur

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by rnviper3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

sorry for the picture being dark. i just now thought to share this one. double spur. rare in mi. not sure if any others of you have see this but i thought it was cool.

Attached Files:

2. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

for sure a trophy, very cool!!
    I had one come in this year, a guy that is a turkey nut!, he was so proud of this turkey, 11" beard, full fan.... real pretty Merriam's which we dont see often in SW Utah........but NO SPURS... not even a nub or any indication of ever trying having grown them. He was pretty bumbed and embarrassed when I asked him if he had noticed there werent any spurs, hell he even taped the tag on the leg and still didnt notice the absent spurs

3. Very cool!

Merriam's are known for that, I saw 4 birds taken last spring in the Bad Lands of North Dakota that did not have any signs of ever having spurs...

4. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

cool. that would be weird tho.

5. tjaxtax

tjaxtax Member

i have never seen that. That is cool!

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is any chance that he might have taken a Gould's or maybe a Gould's crossed with a Merriam's?
    The Gould's are well known for having no spurs at all - just smooth buttons or nubs where they should be, and the Merriam's are their closest cousins.

7. That's pretty cool , thanks for sharing

Brandon

8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

nancy
    what does a gould look like. this is an eastern. as far as i know of thats all thats in michigan.

9. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

the first I have ever seen to cool

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Oops. I was talking about the one with no spurs as maybe having some Gould's influence.
    The one with double spurs being an Eastern makes sense. I think the Easterns have the best spurs, generally speaking, but double like that is pretty cool.
    I had a pheasant once with double spurs very much like that, but way smaller, of course. :)

11. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

this thing is just too cool. one i will always remember for sure.

12. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

you should call the guy show him this pic and tell him you found his missing spurs ;D

13. Nice looks like it was a pretty good bird