1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Law of diminishing returns

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by RWOOD, Mar 3, 2010.

1. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

I have been working on a customers deer skull for several weeks now. The skull for the most part is free of grease and whitens up well. I have degreased and whitened several times using dawn/ammonia/ hot water and 20 and 40 volume whitener. This skull has a spot that refuses to degrease on the back of the skull much like a picture that was posted a week or so back. The skull seems to be getting more and more fragile esp. around the nose. Have you ever just told the customer this is as good as I can get it? I have never had this happen.

2. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Get the rattle can out.

3. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Yup, a slight touch up and bam!! Done!

4. RWOOD

RWOOD New Member

What color/brand/ ect?

5. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Krylon flat white.

6. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

Sometimes when you're not 100% pleased the customer still loves it. I recently did a whitetail skull for a customer that came out great, but the lower jaw he wanted done to determine age just wouldn't come free of grease. I called the customer he picked up the skull and left me with the jaw to see what could be done with time. That jaw has just basically sat in one degrease solution after another for the last month and a half. When all the rest of my stuff is gone I'll just give up on it and he can take it or leave it.

7. A lot of times we are a lot more critical of our own work than the customer is. That little spot of grease, small gap in the nasal bone that wont close and aggravates us........a customer dont even notice. Sometimes it pays to over attentive to the small stuff!

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Yep, you look at those dam things everyday, and become very critical of them. Remember the customer hasnt seen the head in a few weeks to months, they are going to be looking at the whole picture not for little tiny spots. I still say give her some makeup if you cant get it perfectly white, but I guess it also depends on the spot, slicht yellowish color leave it, dark blood stain, paint it.

9. off white through WASCO is a great match. just don't get to extensive. i know once i start throwing paint i keep noticing spots and by the time i think about what I'm doing the whole things got paint. ha ha.

10. Try Kilz. It looks as close to natural as I've found.

Attached Files: