1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cape strech

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bobhunt, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bobhunt

bobhunt New Member

what is the best way to get a little extra stretch out of a whitetail cape with the cut being the whole length of back, neck fits OK just below the ears but halfway down, 1/12 short, brisket up just right to.

2. use your hands thats about it unless you dont have the cape on the form right you could sew the back up so far and make a y incision out of it and use a cape stretcher to

3. #1 headhunter

#1 headhunter New Member

You can start sewing cape from below the ears all the way down so it winds up being like a short y cape, then pull it on fleshing beam and put a shovel handle between beam and cape, and pry on it, or get inner tube and air it up. It will get you some. Or when you put cape on and it don't fit, take a "marks a lot" and mark where it don't fit and do a little shaving to the form.

4. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

try and taxi the skin forward that could be the problem.

5. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

taxi skin forward and sew, then pull into place.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Play tug of war with a somebody

7. kennygribbins

kennygribbins god , family first !!

curt x2

8. Here's a little trick I learned in taxidermy school... I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not, but I've used it a few times and it works for me. Get some Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Wash - you should be able to find it with the laundry detergent in your local grocery store, Wal-mart, etc. Mix about a quarter cup to a quart of water - the mixture will be kind of milky looking. Stretch your cape out flat and pour some of the mixture on and spread it around with your hand to coat the entire neck of the cape. Let it stand and soak in for about 15-20 minutes, then stretch - if need be you can repeat, then just mount as normal. I can usually get an extra half inch or so of stretch doing this...

9. craig h

craig h New Member

ma
    i have a chair that has a nice rounded back on it and i stretch it over that. works pretty well

10. Turn it upside down on the manikin and pull it down and forward it will come together!

11. This works for me, try running it over the fleshing machine again. Not really thinning it , but relaxing it. Good luck ....