1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Muledeer/Whitetail cross

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., Mar 4, 2010.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I wish I had more pics, but I called the customer today & 10 minutes later he was standing in the studio to pick it up. This deer had the ring of a muledeer in it's neck, the mule deer swell and a broad nose. It had Whitetail ears and antlers. I used a Coombs C724 whitetail mannikin and widened the nose and put a much larger swell in the neck. It was really an odd ball to work with.

[​IMG]

2. tjaxtax

tjaxtax Member

You nailed it buddy! Good job!

3. I ran into the same thing doing one of my lifesize whitetails for competition....at first glance the hide looked a little more silver than usual but I thought that made it more unique, then I noticed the dew claws were longer and more rectangular in shape and the face was more broad than a whitetail and it was much longer in proportion to the other measurements...I ended up scrapping my attempt with this hide and got a new one, I just could not alter the form that much with the time I had so I started over....That was my only thought that it seemed to be part mule deer??? Nice job on the mount!!

4. Nice deer looks good

5. Very cool man! Looks great!

6. How come that TV's not on the hunting channel ?

7. Bangle

Bangle New Member

That's a really unique deer...looks great as usual. :D

8. tex4k

tex4k New Member

Was that deer a Texas deer, we see quite a few out here in West Texas but few make to the mounting room. The ones we see are on the freak side more often than not and usually don't live long enough to get big.

9. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

Is that a big 8 what did he score

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, he may be, but I'd swear he's just a big whitetail. I've done half a dozen hybrids over the years and they didn't have the well defined throat patch and were much grayer. They ALL had mule deer butts and tails. I was told that was because most hybrids come from whitetail bucks breeding mule deer does and not the other way around. Still, I can't argue. You sure did a great job on it either way.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Looks like a big old NY whitetail to me, lol. Nice job though Mike.