1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

White Lightning caulk...different?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by inkyspal, Mar 5, 2010.

1. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    About 5 years ago when I first began mounting deer, I used White Lightning adhesive caulk exclusively as my hide 'paste'. For me, it worked just fine and I never experienced any drumming or any extraordinary pulling. Since then, I have switched to various different types of paste, most recently using Roman 555.
    It had been a while since I'd used the White Lightning but the other day I bought some at Home Depot and mounted a deer with it last weekend. To my surprise, when the deer dried, the drumming was unbelievable. All other factors were the same...shaved as thin as I normally shave them, used the same tanning agent, same temperature in the shop, same kind of mannikin...yet I've never experienced anything like what happened to this deer. Very significant pulling away from the form at every angle. Fortunately, I was able to rehydrate the worst areas and Rick & I have been able to make him presentable.
    I'm just curious if those of you who use White Lightning have noticed a change, or experienced this type of problem recently? I suspect they may have changed their formula since the last time I used it.

[​IMG]

2. Some years back I tried caulk for hide paste. Some of it worked and some of it never setup. It needed air to setup. Some of the caulk that never setup the hair starting slipping on the capes three months after the head was (I thought) dry.

I did see something last weekend I am going to try. You might want to stop reading at this point Nickie.

Jake Clark mounted a Bushbuck in a seminar he use McKenzie Hide paste and the next day the detail was incredible without any pinning. Jake said he has had great results with the "other Brand" and his bushbuck proved it.

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

It's not likely the formulation has been changed. There was actually two different formulations for White Lightning when Sherwin-Williams bought out the original Georgia based company.

Your BIG hint for the day. Any time you need to know such things as whether or not formulations were changed, find the "office" phone number for the company, DO NOT use the toll free if avoidable. When someone answers the phone, instantly blurt out in your best I am in charge voice (anguished human screams in the background can expedite making suitable contact), "I want to speak with a tech". If you talk with half a brain and tell the tech right up front that you "explore" other uses for their product/s, you might be surprised as to how much assistance you can get after that. With that being said, I already made those kind of phone calls years ago; lets proceed.

White Lightning WAS pure latex. Check and see if it still is. If it is, either the goods may have been frozen, OR the part no one like to hear, that can cause denial, the product has exceeded it's shelf life. Bear in mind shelf life can vary from one production batch to another with any product. At one point in history, six months was considered to be the safe point, but by the same token, a year might be fine with another batch. I imagine you have probably also heard someone say that they had had some for a couple of years that worked just fine.

4. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    Thanks for this info, Glen.
    I used Krowtann and it was a fresh batch. I never re-use it...one hide and its disposed of.
    I will do some further research into the formulation...mostly just for my own curiosity's sake.
    Perhaps it isn't pure latex anymore.

5. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Now if you find out some new information, don't go piggin' up all the facts. You got to share 'em, with me at least.

6. I have always had the impression that pure latex was a no-no as a hide paste. I though the acrylic plus latex was the one to use for a hide paste. Maybe your batch of Krowtann was bad causing too much shrinkage.

7. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

I'm surprised Rick let you try that caulk Nickie, slap his handle.. lmao