1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New Here

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by beetleguy85, Mar 5, 2010.

1. beetleguy85

beetleguy85 New Member

Canada
    Hello everyone.I'm new here.The Name is Steve.I'm 16 years old.I joined this site and want to learn as much as I can about beetles.However many times i search i always get gay posts that say:Use the search and it isn't fun sifting through all those pages just to find your questions are answered like this:Look in the archives.Well guess what i did and guess what it said:Look in the archives.Its a never ending cycle :( Here are my questions:
    Okay so if i was to start a colony from wild dermestids[as many as i can find propably about 10-30 or so],at what time would i have about 1000?What species do i need or can i just use any species I find?For an enclosure i thought a hard pexiglass fish aquarium would work, will it work?Its one of the ones you get at the pet store that have the plastic lid and such.For food[Since i'm just keeping the beetles as a fun thing to do,i have no life :-\] what can i feed them?
    Thanks everyone
    Steve O.
    Edited out the typos sorry for any inconvience ;)

2. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

:), LMAO

3. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

I do believe Steve O. is a guy on the show Jackass, right? Are you doing research for a new episode? I've seen them do some pretty weird stuff on that show. Maybe dermestids and maceration buckets are the next thing to make that guy throw up.

4. Welcome aboard,
    Answers:
    1. Will take a lot of feeding and time to get to a 1,000. Probably 3 to 4months.
    2. Specific species is dependent on whats available in your area.
    3. The plastic enclosure you spoke of is fine.
    4. Hot dogs, meat scraps, hamburger meat (raw), neck bones, road kill (frozen) will work for food.
    5. and yes. all this could have been found using the search function properly

5. roundman81

roundman81 New Member

WI
    You can find almost all the answers in the search, but it can be a lot of reading sometimes. It's the really commonly asked questions that some folks are annoyed by. Example: I checked the archives and didn't find what I was looking for, is dawn and water a good degreaser? lol. Welcome to the show!

6. beetleguy85

beetleguy85 New Member

Canada
    Thanks guys,No i'm not that steve the O is the first letter of my last name.Anyway thanks again i'll be on the look out for any in my house and such.

7. beetleguy85

beetleguy85 New Member

Canada
    Okay i almost forgot a question, Do they need substrate?Or can they just life with nothing?

On a side note i have so far found 7 i'll still keep my eyes peeled for more.I have no beetles though so i can't Identify them :(

8. Kurt27

Kurt27 New Member

Oh man, i think its that "dermestid" kid again!!! He has "found 7 so far" and all the little smiley faces in his text! Its him

9. The Head Shop

The Head Shop New Member

Iowa
    " Thanks guys,No i'm not that steve the O is the first letter of my last name.Anyway thanks again i'll be on the look out for any in my house and such.''

i would try looking in the living room this time

10. extremebison

extremebison New Member

This beetleguy85 can't be for real, I'm really starting to think it's bulldog yanking all of us along, maybe RD. Someone is for sure pulling everyones chain. There's no way this guy is for real I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a huge prank, one of the seniors members or involved for sure, great entertainment though lol.

11. You can also feed your fuzzy wuzzies goldfish crackers.

12. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I agree.

13. I want a cracker.

14. bulldog4949

If you go back and read his other posts.........this one follows along exactly the same.

He always makes another post right after a previous post. He never modifies a post, but rather makes another one right after the initial post.

Definitely dermestid, mike 98, dermestid beetlez, etc.......

15. you guys are such skeptics!!! lmao

16. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

guarantee it ain't my idea of fun. Those damn Texans again prolly... lol

17. bulldog4949

It is NOT me.

18. gotta be mp!!

19. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Haha! Awesome! No matter which one of you guys it is, you're doing grrrreat!

20. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Just one more reason to macerate..... ;D