1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Bondo

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jbgcmg, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jbgcmg

jbgcmg New Member

Can ears on a deer that have been mounted using Bondo ever be redone? Can Bondo be removed?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sure can as long as the ears are still wet. Just reach in and pull them out.

3. if your talking an already mounted deer were the bondos set and cured that would be a no and if you try good luck cause you probally will rip the ear in pieces trying, unless it wasn't prepped properly and the ears all drummed out and you might have a chance but doubt it

4. George

Sorry dewitt, but not true. Even on a dried mount, you can wet paper towels and wrap the ears, cover it with plastic freezer wrap, and the ear skin will rehydrate. Bondo (Lord why must I always repeat this) IS NOT AN ADHESIVE and will DISbond from the ear skin quite easily.

5. Bluehealer

Bluehealer Daddys little girl, first deer..

Piece of cake, just as George stated, rehydrate the ears and pop it out. You will have a set bondo earliners on your hands...lol

I've had to do it my self on two mounts, one due to my own mistake and being distraced when the bondo kicked and set...it wasn't pretty. The other was a customer remount with bondo ears, it was bonded pretty good but turned them out pretty easy with a little scalpel assistance.

6. George

And what lesson did that teach you about using Bondo as earliners??? LMAO

7. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    I think I'm finally convinced about the whole Bondo thing! Although if the ears never got wet once mounted, would they be okay?