1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Was my bear hide switched out? Please help!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by antlersoutwest, Mar 6, 2010.

1. antlersoutwest

antlersoutwest New Member

I need your advise please!

I just picked my bear up yesterday from the taxidermist and right off the bat He didnt look right. I got home and compaired pictures from the day I shot him and his muzzle looks way too light.

Is there any way someone switched my hide out?
    Can the tannery process make the hair lighter?

I hate to call my taxidermist and complain
    Do you think it is the same bear?

PLease help! Thanks, Carrie
    435-640-6796
    [email protected]

Here are the pictures from the day I harvested him and recent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

not to start trouble but your bear looks like a chocalate phase ,not your mount though

3. your muzzel does look different can you post a pic of the whole mount for better comparisin?

4. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    Maybe thats the right color and when you shot it the fur/hide was dirty and it cleaned up when it was tanned ask the person who mounted it for you.

5. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Your bear picture looked like a solid chocolate colour (including the brown nose). The mounted bear has a lite-ish colour, maybe flash.
    I'd talk to your taxidermist, I've seen people tell on here how their animals got switched out on them before

6. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Honestly, I think its the same bear.

7. It looks like it was switched out. I would be ticked off. No way that the muzzle could have been that dirty in those pictures.

8. MHTaxidermy

I don't think its from being dirty. In the live pic, the muzzle looks lighter than in the dead pic. I think the lighting has some to do with it. The rest of the head looks colored exactly the same. I think most of it is probably the skin underneath being alot lighter on the mount, skin loses lots of its color when it dries, And it is showing through the thin muzzle hair, making it look lighter than the live pic.

9. do you remember youre bear having any of those scars on the face..in the live picture when its looking down it looks like theres a scar on the left side of its face near its eye

10. MHTaxidermy

I very well may not know anything about it. LOL But I think you read my post wrong. I said I DONT think its from being dirty. That was SR1 that said that. I thought it was from lighting, and from the skin being alot lighter from being tanned, and that is showing through the thin muzzle hair, and making it look lighter. Because the rest of it looks the same color. But its very possible that I'm totally wrong, Because I have never even done a bear before. :)

Antlersoutwest, Can you post a photo of the head that was taken without any flash?

11. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

If it's the same bear, it sure changed color, at least, that's how I see it on my computer, the muzzle looks lighter in color and the rest looks darker ???.

12. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I agree with Jason, Your bear was much darker in the face. Also I didn't see any noticeable scars on your bear. I know it is hard to see but the bear you have looks like a small cinnamon phase not a chocolate phase.

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

It definitely looks different however it could possibly be due to lighting differences (but I'm not sure about it changing THAT much). Any other identifying marks? White patch? Scars?

14. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    For crying out loud people! IT IS THE SAME BEAR!

The live Bear - and its subsequent the dead version - are dirty when they are alive, as all animals are. What happens in the Tannery is the skins go through so many various "baths" - rehydration, pickle, then tanning solutions - of course they are cleaner and brighter than when you kill the damn thing!

Also, the images of the live and dead Bear are rather dark, and not very well lit, whereas the mounted face you show, is shiny and well lit. Apples and oranges.

It's a brown - chocolate - color phase Black Bear, which typically have lighter muzzles than other species, no matter what their color ... the white versions excepted.

Similar occurrences happen with African Lions, and many mammals with heavy coat of fur or hair. Most mammals roll in their own feces and urine ... and that of others ... for territorial reasons and sometimes just because they can! No one ever brushes them out, so there is a lot of matting going on. When they shed, the shed hairs tend to say in the mane. By the time these animals are run through the paces at the Tannery, a shipload of that filthy, matted fur washes out. A Lion with a ridiculously full mane, may come back from the Tannery with a nice clean, "average" mane. It is the same cat ... just under different circumstances, ie: cleaner! ;)

Relax, it's the same Bear. ;) ;D

John.

15. 22Fathoms

22Fathoms Member

Utah
    Yeah, and that fish you took the taxidermist was bigger and fatter, and the Deer you took to him had a way bigger neck. (sarcasm) Relax, and ask yourself some questions first. 1)What benefit would a taxidermist have by switching your hide? All tanning is done at the owners RISK, so if it was a tanning problem, he could just tell you that and keep the deposit for work already performed. 2) If it wasn't a tanning problem, then you are assuming that he "switched" out another bear for your bear. Why? Bears are not worth that much money to steal one for another, and to risk one's professional reputation over a $100.00 difference is stupid. If your taxidermist has a bad reputation that would make you doubt his integrity, then that is your fault. Just relax and tell him your observations and ask his opinion.

One more thing, photos lie. Unless all lighting and exposure settings where the exact same and in a controlled environment, then photos aren't worth squat when it comes to color and counting hairs. A strong flash will make a fur look bald sometimes. Just talk to the dermist and see what he/she says, but until you have confirmation, give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I could find enough things to be upset about without including the skin.

17. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Sorry, Same Bear all the way.

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X2 Your mount is typical of what happens when a bear is mounted and the hide is stretch backwards. The hair is laying very tight now, but your "LIVE" bear had each hair standing independently. The same bear.

OH, before I forget. Jason, read Mark's signature line and then apologize to him. LMAO

19. Come on Jason...say you're sorry LMAO

20. I am not a taxidermist but this got me thinking. Would it be possible to look for the bullet whole, and see if there is one where you shot it. You should be able to remember almost exactly where it was hit, and if sewn up could you still find it through the hair? I sure you guys could answer this one for me. Skullery