1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Cape Swap ----Ethics (POLL)----

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by AndyO, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Should I contact customer if I switch out their deer cape for a better looking cape which is the same color and size? I mean if I have a deer cape with huge puncture wounds, bald spots, bare ears, etc, and I didn't charge extra for the cape would you (thinking like a customer) care? Sometimes it's a whole lot easier (time effective) to use a better cape. I get free capes in and I don't have a problem using those if need be.

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Your customer, may have been all this time telling their buddies how scarred up and tough his buck looked. Must have been a scrapper!
    Then get it back in pristine shape.
    We'd never swap one out without the customer knowing about it before hand.
    Ron and Linda

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Member

West
    If your doing it for free, I don't think to many customers would object if they were going to have a nicer looking mount. Unless they just really like the character of the cape, which some do. I would definely run it buy the customer. I know I would be mad if you didn't and it was my deer.

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Tell them what its going to cost for repairs, they will take a new cape every time.

5. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yepper Bill, most of the time they will ;D But, like you said, tell them.
    May save a lot of B S later!

6. Bluehealer

Bluehealer Daddys little girl, first deer..

You have to run it by the customer, he may really like that scared up double white path deer he/she shot. Its not my call to switch it out, I get tons of free capes from my local processing plant from pepole that don't have their bucks mounted and have asked customers if they were interested in another cape verses me charging extra for their cut up brisket, etc...cape. 7 out of 10 times they want the cape they shot.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I always ask...

8. Aint that the truth.

I really don't like contacting customers to discuss what I should do. I know it's their deer but when they drop it off to me it's pretty much my way or the highway. As far as scars and such, I tell them up front I normally fix scars and rub spots (no extra charge unless major). I will keep the flaws if they are adamant about keeping them. Hell, half the time I choose the pose they are getting.

9. dannyk

dannyk New Member

I've had kids first deer shot in the head & upper neck But I always call his dad or granddad which ever comes in with the kid.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I understand what you are saying, but some customers get really hung up on getting "their" deer back. Personally, I'd take a pretty cape over "my" cape every time, but some don't see it that way. I too have lots of free capes, and often exchange them for really bad ones, but I never do that without getting permission first. Ultimately I suppose it's up to you, but I assure you if a customer even thinks they didn't get the right cape when they'd rather have their own, you are going to have problems.

11. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Here is the EASY way to do it . When they drop it off ,,, Tell them you might have a upgrade and say why .

If they want the upgrade weather it is free or extra ,,,, then mark it on the slip . if not . I would not change it . I think that would be the best way, This way you do not have to call them back again till the mount is done.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

In 50 years I've lost 3 capes, MAYBE 4 and in all cases, the customer ended up taking the replacement. So call me what you will, if I get one in that I screw up, he gets the same size and his "horns". Only I need to know and he won't ever have to explain "yeah, but that's not my hide on it" to anyone. Eliminates the trauma. Two of those mounts came back after 10 or 15 years to be "freshened" anyway, so he certainly knew it then. (It wasn't his skull or meat or eyes or ear cartilages under it anyway.)

The only way for two people to keep a secret is for one of them to be dead. Benjamin Franklin. So I just don't tell anybody.

13. Mason

Mason Active Member

Wich ever way you choose thats cool,. THAT IS YOUR SHOP.
    We may never be as successful as you George. But we ALWAYS put the customer, before the check.
    I'd never think of doing a thing straying from the contract signed by the customer. Without them being involved.
    Ron

14. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I agree with George. It does not happen often but if a deer comes in and after working on it I find the cape was bad or I goof up and I have a duplicate you bet I am going to replace it. 95% of the time a deer is a deer. Now if it was a double white patch or noticeable markings am definately calling the client.

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

I would never do this unless the client was in approval of it. In my oppinion, it is just not right.

16. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I agree with George, that works the same way with me. I put myself in that position and I would be much happier seeing a nice deer than one I shot with a jacked up cape.

17. Not right same size,color,etc.... Don't matter a lie is a lie.people will more than likely understand if you damage their cape.I never had anyone argue about it.

18. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

If I screwed it up. I'd go and change it out and not say anything. But to just change thier cape with another ? Not without them saying OK . And I'd charge them for it. If you don't need the cape. Sell on here.

19. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yeah,
    I think Jason was just referring to a scarred up rubbed cape. Even if it were somthing we did. We'd give them a call.
    Our contract that we sign as well as the customer states that if a specimen is brought in frozen. It will be thawed and inspected. If any flaws are found then. The customer will be called and informed. Then we go from there as far as a replacement or not.
    But I respect the way anyone runs their own shops!

20. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

I would never change one just to change it. I agree with that Kevin, Only if it was screwed up. I also charge for capes if they want a replacement. And whitetail wizzard noone said anything about lying.