1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hen Turkey Mount as a decoy........

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by LOCKED-UP, Mar 8, 2010.

1. I know that for a finished piece or comp. mount I would NOT want to do this but..............I am wanting only to mount a fall hen for nothing other than a spring decoy.

Can i just simply do the head as I would a duck or goose head with artificial head. If nothing else can i split it all the way from the feather line, under the neck, up to the base of the beak. Then flesh it real good, wash and dry, make a form for the head and borax the crap out of it and then either stich or glue the incision?

Thanks John

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

yeah you CAN ,but why go through all the trouble for one rainshower to ruin it ,hey you hunt turkeys you get wet ,it's a given.Try to cast a head it will hold up lots better ,my decoys have cast heads I did and look very convincing 3 years later ,just a thought

3. i know that the cast head route would be the ideal thing to do however I can't see spending another $50 just for the head. Unless you know of any cheaper ones......

4. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

LU,

I've mounted several hens for hunting. I use the real head, 1" foam neck, magic sculp to fill the head and lock in the neck wire and set the eyes. I've worked a few skins over the head but usually I have to make a slit on the back of the head. After they are dried, I paint and seal them. They do need care, but I've used some of them for 4-5 years and still look good. If they get wet just let them dry out, the rain doesn't bother them. I touch the heads up a little before each spring.

Tom

5. Kimberley

Kimberley Member

Cast turkey hen heads with glass eyes for decoys are $20 each with a flat rate of $5.00 for shipping. Although all the feathers were in the first one, the feather detail is there in all the subsequent casts and can be brought out by dry brushing.
    -Kimberley, FSR Reproductions

Attached Files:

6. I have done quite a few decoys using the real head. I always skin over the head, clean the skull real good, borax, set eyes , use magic sculp for brain cavity for wire and then I always inject the head with bird feet injection. I never had any conplaints.

7. I was thinking also that I could paint the head and then use a clearcoat waterproofing sealer over the paint for moisture protection. (After it dries good of course) and then another paint coat on top of the clear coat to "dull" out the shine of the clearcoat.....Tell me what you think about that !!!!!

Thanks agian for the input everyone,

John

8. afterI paint them I don't use a clear coat, but thats just me

9. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Why would anyone want to pack something like that around the woods? A foam decoy is just as convincing! Cally sure had a great marketing package on those things! Personally, I've killed (or been in on) hundreds of turkeys with NO decoys. To each their own......he who travels lightest, travels fastest!

10. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

E.T.,

I've killed several without decoys too, but there's nothing comparable to using the real decoys. I can easily carry 4 of them in to my setup without a problem. If I have to move on a bird I'll generally take one or 2 and take off. I don't lose much mobility with these decoys, they only weigh what, maybe 2 lbs tops. For the additional action they provide, it's well worth for me IMHO..