1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"White" skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by schuda1, Mar 8, 2010.

1. schuda1

schuda1 New Member

Just wondering about how "white" is "white" when finishing skulls. Most posts that show finished skulls show them as what seems ultra white. Just wondering if any one has customers that want their skulls done more naturally as in a"bone" white shade. Just curious.

Thanks

Mike

2. None of mine has asked, so I just get them as white as I can.

3. i'm with Toxic on this one as white as i can get, every customer has their prefrence. some want it painted (don't understand it) some want it right out of the degreasing state, and some want them bleached white all depends

4. I just ask if they want them whitened. They all say yes.

5. Actually I take that back, one of my friends, a skull collector, didnt want 3 of his deer whitened.

6. juxt

juxt New Member

personally, i would much rather have my skulls a natural colour. whatever they end up as after degreasing with absolutely no additional whitening.
    i think i'm in the minority here though.

7. different strokes for different folks thats all

8. AH7

AH7 New Member

That's the key: different people like them done differently. From my experience, I think the real collectors tend to like their skulls more on the natural side, but the key is how your customers want them. If you say you are going to whiten them, then soak them until you think they are done. If your customers start coming back for whiter, then you will know that you are not doing it enough.

The more complicated answer is that it will be hard for any of us to tell you how long it will take. What do you use? BO? Peroxide? 35% or 3%? Heated or not? Do you use peroxide while degreasing?

9. schuda1

schuda1 New Member

Thanks for the input guys. So far everyone has been happy with the natural bone shade and have not asked to have them done whiter. after degreasing I let them sit in just 3% perioxide over night. Rinse the next day and after its dry I give it a couple of coats of polyurethane satin. (water base, oil will turn the skull yellow) to seal the bone.

Mike

10. Skulls are what skulls are.. And thats my prefrence... As long as they are not bleeding grease and are whitened to some degree they are great. I have skulls in my collection from a light tan color to pure bone white. Each skull will have its color. Short of painting it you will not get them all the same color.

11. I'm with PLT - as long as the color is universal, and isnt bleeding grease I'm fine with it.

12. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I don't offer and they don't ask. Ultra white only.

13. I agree also with PLT ( IMO), but when I first started doing work for other taxidermist 4 out of 5 wanted them to be ultra white. Now I try to get them all ultra white. No complaints so far.

14. AH7

AH7 New Member

Have any of you tried to put "natural" colored skulls in your studios to encourage customers to go for that treatment? It seems to me like maybe if you did that, you could save on some time and materials if they like the look, and in my experience, many people do like that look.

15. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have only had one request for not white. Everyone else wants your typical euro, white and clean.

16. Tallymark

Tallymark New Member

I only do skulls for myself, so I have no one else to please, but honestly, I prefer the old bone look.