1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Questions about selling and shipping animals

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Georgia Boy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Hi, I have a hobby farm where I raise chickens, quail, pheasants, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, goats, sheep, and other exotics. Here are some of my questions: (Q1) Do i need to have a license or permit to sell and or ship dead animals? Would I need a permit to sell bobwhite quail, ringnecks and eastern turkeys from my farm in Georgia? Should/could I cut out the body "meat" and salt it for each bird to reduce shipping weight? If a bird has a wrung neck will it mess up its neck feathers enough to be not useable? any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

I dont know if these are stupind questions but I would really like to know the answers. If any one could please help me let me know. Thanks!

3. gab

gab Active Member

a taxidermist would generally want to skin his own specimens to his specs.ship them whole frozen w/dry ice on a monday reg UPSas far as the midwest.3 day select to the Western states.do not ship anything past may unless its next day or 2nd day.
    You will have to do the research with your state authorities as far as legality and the buyer should be responsible for the regs on his end

4. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Thanks gab. What are they key points to look for in a taxidermy specimen?

5. the better shape there in the better if there tail feathers are all broke and severally damaged there not worth as much the better quality the more money there worth basically

6. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Is a bird worthless if its wings are clipped? Or would I just wait untill it molts again? On ducks and geese is it bad if their webbing of their feet is notched, or can a taxadermist just use fake feet?

7. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Georgia boy, where are you located?

8. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Right south of augusta georgia. So straight north of ya KHalle.

9. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Thought you might have been closer!

10. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Yea I travel a bit but the farthest south i go normally is statesboro. but if you need anything I can meet half way or shipping should be cheaper.

11. what kind of ducks do you have . Im in Augusta and looking for a few

12. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

Mainly farm type ducks. muscovy, pekin and mallard right now but i am just starting to get into wood ducks and mandarins. i am slowly starting to branch off into different stuff. I have bobwhite quail, and coturnix "pharoh" quail in 3 colors. All kinds of chickens. some white chinese geese. And some turkeys. But if you need anything special i know some people in the area that might have what you need. IF anyone wants a miniature silky billy goat for taxidermy let me know and you can have him for dirt cheap. He is sitting in my deep freeze right now taking up space. has some decent horns. Probably around 6-8 inches but i would have to check to make sure.

13. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy New Member

I also forgot my guineas. I was wondering does anyone ever use guineas in taxidermy? I bet people rarely do full sized african animals but maybe they might place a guinea as part of the flora/ fauna? I always seem to have extra male guineas and they try to breed everything.