1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Do I have to remove cartilage......

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by fishnhunt, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Form deer/ elk moose ears etc before installing earliners? I have been leaving them in but noticed some curling going on around edges. Is there a way (special earliner) that can be used to avoid the non-fun task opf removeing cartilage?

Thanks so much for any advice

2. sean997

sean997 Member

take it out when using liners. there are some liners that allow you to leave it in but they are crap IMO.

3. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

McKenzie has some whitetail earliners made to be used without removing the cartilage first. the CartilageLiner Earliners. Item number CLWTM.

What method are you using to remove the cartilage? I find it quite easy to remove it, and it only takes me less than 10 mins.

4. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    Big debate on this one! I think, if you leave the cartilage in, you can't then also stick in an earliner. The ear would be way too thick. You either remove the cartilage (which is time consuming) and use an epoxy (or some other adhesive!!) with an earliner...or you leave the catilage in and use some kind of adhesive. Which adhesive....that's the debate!

5. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    The curling sound like maybe you did'nt split all the way to the edges.

6. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    That cartilage really has to be rehydrated well, if it's not....it is more of a chore!

7. Well, I leave the cartilage in, use a celastic earliner and latex clear caulk as an ahdesive, mostly with good results but have had a few tips and edges ripple or curl in for the power of the cartilage drying. I dont find the thickness to be a noticeable problem, and the problem to me with removing is you get those few deer that dont want to part with it and the hair pullls through or rips the skin and causes an ugly spot.

8. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    It's probably too dry if you are pulling hair through and tearing it. Just my thought.

9. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I used to leave them in as well and used an earliner, then I learned how to mount a deer.......LOL, better results with taking them out.
    when re hydrated Fold them over, cut line in center gently with scalpel, peel em off. It can be done in about 10 min. or so.

If your pulling hair out you need to let it soak more. Once you get it down pat it's not that big of a deal.

10. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

If you aren't concerned with the thickness of the ears or if they curl, then there is no reason to be concerned about anything else in the mount. It doesn't matter if it's grooming, over spray, drumming, anatomy, epoxy work, pin holes and so on, it all adds up. When you try to stay on top of what is needed to produce a quality mount, it will show in the mount.

11. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    i've never used caulk but i would think that may be your problem. caulk dries too slow. maybe try magic smooth or some other apoxie that sets faster than your ear can dry. or just bondo the dang thing if you don't want to remove the cartilage. why use an ear liner?

12. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

REMOVE the cartilage and use epo-grip epoxy. So what if it takes a little time or isnt "easy", your looking for optimum results and your kidding yourself if you think that leaving the cartilage in or using bondo will give you those results. Leave the shortcuts to the hackers.

13. navajo

navajo New Member

Utah
    let me clarify myself, i use earliners and don't mess around with bondo.what i meant by "why use earliners?" is - earliners are meant to give you a nice thin sharp ear right? so why would you use an ear liner without removing the cartilage? defeats the purpose of an earliner. but if you were to refuse taking the cartilage out use bondo. and bill i agree with you, don't take shortcuts, get the cartilage out it's not that hard.

14. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

You can also have unruly hair around the edges of the backsides of the ears. Remove the cartilage, especially if your wanting to be the best you can be.