1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cartilage ears OMG

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerhunterdon, Mar 9, 2010.

1. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    I sit here trembling with fustration as I type!!LOL! its like trying to remove the back of a piece of paper from the front of a piece of paper. my ear is only half done, and it looks like someone tryed to mutilate it. well on the bright side, Ill learn repair techniques. but I learned something more thumbnail less knife. ::)

2. rockcity4

rockcity4 New Member

you will learn the repair part for sure,,,it helps to spray with stop-rot,,,seems to make it easier as peel it off,,,after you have cut across thru the first layer put the sharp object down and just use your thumbnail to get it started,,after a couple you will see the difference,,,

3. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    success!!! not one tear or hole in second ear !! easy does it!! ;D

4. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

Patience grass hopper. LOL :). On elk I use pliers to grab a section, and peel slow.

5. verne

verne Well-Known Member

large mule deer ear`s are fun too.

6. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

I've never done a whitetail, Are they easier than mule deer? Mule deer aren't that hard.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Don't freak out, the more you do, the better you get, and even when you are a pro at it, there will always be an ear that will come along and make you swear.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Hang in there. Took me a long time before I had enough courage to even try it. And more time before I felt comfortable in doing it.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Generally WT's are easier than MD or elk, but not always.

10. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Just remember.....it's not a race!! Also, I remember Mr. T saying to keep in mind that you are separating the cartilage from the skin........don't manhandle it!!

11. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Your thumb nail will become one of your most valued tools. Take care of it.

12. Tmbrwlf52

Tmbrwlf52 Member

Ditto to that along with index finger.I even see on TV some kind of stuff for woman to paint on their nails to strengthen them ,I may try myself.

13. shammy

shammy New Member

Just be careful doing it, doing whitetail one day and was using to much of the nail and not the thumb and my thumbnail poped. The nail seperated from the thumb, I got one messed up nail now.

14. montana art

montana art New Member

N.C.
    wet tanned cartilage comes off pretty easy. hang in there, after a while takes about two minutes at most per ear.

15. Cygnet

Cygnet New Member

Utah
    peel it like an orange, don't pull. Wait till you do an elk ear with a large tag hole in it. fun!!!

16. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    You will improve with time, you will also find that every ear is a little different some easier and some harder keep at it and try to learn new words like #&%[email protected] there don't you feel better already!

17. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    Its really alot easier when you take your time. slow right down. thanks for the support guys!

18. Gary A

Gary A N. West Taxidermy 208-404-9706

Thumb nail...mine are too short to be much help. ;D