1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Doe and 2 Fawns Completed pics

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Kyle Lakey, Mar 9, 2010.

1. pa critter

pa critter New Member

very nice looking it has that wow factor

2. camarogirl

camarogirl Hunting is MURDER! Tasty, tasty murder. ~steak~

"Awe factor" indeed. That is an absolutely beautiful mount. You should be very proud! :)

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Love it! That is a very nice piece! Nice job!

4. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Very nice piece! That's the kind of piece that everyone goes straight to even in a room full of others. How did it do with the public? I would think it would in the running for people's choice.

5. bowhunterj

bowhunterj New Member

T3-Kyle, very nice piece, I agree with george , If it were the world show Ok, nit pick, but the judge should have never said he wanted to but, couldn't? I'm not sure you as a competitor need to know the judges feelings. Again very nice eye appealing piece.

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

The public loves it and turns alot of heads. We don't have a people's choice at our show just a taxidermists choice. It didn't get any additional awards. There are other awards from organizations and suppliers and such that pic random favorite mounts but it didn't recieve any at the show but there was alot of other very cool mounts it had to compete with that also deserved the awards they recieved. Was hoping for the best but thats ok. Most people love the piece... Had a local buisiness show this weekend with a booth and it attracted alot of attention and many questions. Got kinda tired of telling the story of how I obtained the fawns, haha, some were surprised to find out they were conventionally mounted and not freeze dried. Helped land a couple big future clients as well who wished they had brought me the 8 deer and couple other random things they took in this year but didn't know about my work but were super excited and are going to be coming to me for all future needs. They also are giving me a small lifesize cinnamon phase black bear that has been in their freezer for a couple years for a shop piece so I'm hoping it is sealed good enough and will be workable. So yeah the awe factor is definitly bringing me buisiness and helping make a name for myself around the area already which is good as this is only my second year in buisiness. Got another show next weekend with a booth so excited for that one too.

7. Man I love it! They looks awesome.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kyle you've got a helluva lot of class and certainly someone whose ego won't slow you down. Having said that, I don't see the same at whatever show you attended with that piece. I'd strongly encourage you to tweak the few things the "judge" pointed out that you agree with and take it to a real show where it can be given the credit it deserves. There MAY be issues I can't see, but the details I DO see don't usually corelate with a trashy piece. Every piece has to be judged on it's own merit (how else would house sparrows win at a World Show???)

9. WOW,BEAUTIFUL,BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF WORK !!!!!!!!!!!

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I agree with George about taking it to another show.

Also, it is great to hear you are getting some attention and business with the piece. Those kind of contacts and clients will help you get a better customer base, and they will send their friends. You don't need a blue ribbon on that piece to benefit from it.

11. red oak

red oak New Member

If the whitetail judge did that piece there will be a new whitetail judge next year. You can take the piece to another show for another opinion that's great hope you do well. I do not think that the opinion of one judge makes the WI show a crap show . lots of talent at that show and I think it is a very well done show in my opinion

12. RATTRAP

RATTRAP Don't laugh, deer think my head is an acorn!

Great looking mounts and idea!

13. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thanks. Yeah I'd like to take it to another show or two but this year I don't really have the time and didn't have time to attend MN's show. The mammal judge was doing the lifesize deer not the whitetail judge. I don't know what the quality of the WI show is compaired to others as this is the only one I have ever attended and was first time competing. Both judges have alot of knowedge and not knowing who either where prior to the show and from what I heard form other members at the show and what I learned I got what I paid for. Both judges definitly know their WTs and mammals I have to say as I study alot of pictures and know alot about many species but the small hints where nice to find out from them. Learned alot of what exactly kind of details to focus on and how to improve on those a bit from the critiques I recieved. I know what your saying George and I don't totally disagree and I was a little disapointed but it is what it is and we pay to play the game and learn from the reviews. I know its a neat piece and I'm proud of it and have enjoyed the attention it is getting. Anyways not complaining about anything or debating competition just wanted to show it off completed. I enjoy doing stuff thats different and can't wait to do more of it. I'd rather bring the wow factor and maybe have a few mistakes on the competion level that aren't obvious to the public eye anyways but have goals to win in the masters divisions some day too. It will come with experience I think.

14. George

You're still a class act with opinions like that. I must apologize for our industry having created this situation, however. This IS, WAS, and ALWAYS WILL BE my opinion of judges being enamored with themselves. It tends to be the winners wanting to claim that they won under grueling conditions and demand even tougher "standards" so they can feel lofty in their talent while repressing those who could, can, and eventually will be better than they are. I've noted for years now that these "judges" are just killing the golden goose. If we were EVER going to have a reputable competition system, we have to set the degree of difficulty on a level playing field from the start. State Fairs and Farm Shows should be the lowest level, followed by STATE, Regional, National, and World Show. When a state brags about their standards are as tough as the World Show, then one could reasonably assume that a blue ribbon winner at state level would be a blue ribbon winner at the World. That's a fabrication of ego there. Perhaps SOME will be, but most won't even ribbon there. State shows depend on revenue. No blue ribbon at any venue will ever be bought for what it's worth - if you could even sell it. And then to hear a judge make that lame assed remark, "I'd have liked to have given it a blue, but I just couldn't." is totally disgusting to me and speaks a helluva lot about his character. That's as insulting as giving someone an 89 (please don't tell me that's what this clown did). An 89 implies that if you'd done just ONE MORE THING to your mount, it would have been a blue. There are those who'll claim (wrongly IMO) that it "encourages" the competitor. Most often it is devastating to the competitor realizing the time and effort he or she spent doing that mount only to have it fall teasingly short. (That's exactly why I've always been an advocate of getting rid of the number grades. I advocated the "grades" instead be listed as "poor", "satisfactory", "above average", and "excellent" in each category. Then at the end, the judge wouldn't be able to play loose and fast with the numbers. If there were more "excellent" than there were "above average", the mount gets a blue instead of a red. To tell me or to show me the difference between a mount scoring 92 and one scoring 98 is simply ludicrous. In high school, those grades would have put both of you in the Honor Society. Why not taxidermy?)

15. Riverland

Riverland New Member

It is that time of the year again George, maybe everyone should get a blue ribbon! Been awhile since I have been to a WI state show but generally there are some pretty high end pieces there. Orthober, Pat Wagner, Brian Olson, Mike Yeska, Doug Roffers ,John Luczak, Cindi Christman, Brenda Duvall,Ted Weyanburg and whoever showed up from out of state. This was a typical show when I attended I would assume the competiters now would have picked up a thing or two from them and are still producing more than a few "WOW" pieces.
    Doug
    Riverlandstudio.com

16. george i will tell you this wisconsins show is one of the hardest states to compete in they are a lot of gifted wildlife artists here and this as my third year competeing i was told by a lady taxidermist that i should compete in masters this year with my wolf i was scared why, becase they judge that divisition on a national level i placed a third and yes i was surprised i was told by two taxis that seen it that is was a blue for sure boy were they wrong 2 things that gave me third were the rock was not the right size of the wolf and the inside interior of the nose was not detailed enough those two things drop you in score but i was happy i got to play with the big boys and girls and i did well and i am happy for that i did my homework and studied the animal competitions are suppose to be hard not easy doug

17. Thats awesome

18. George

Eventually everyone has to defend their own ugly baby. I never implied that the competition wasn't stiff. So be it. What I DID imply was that it takes a weak kneed "judge" to make those comments about a piece to the individual. I've YET to be at ANY taxidermy "competition" where there weren't hard feelings generated by issues just like this one. All those fancy big names there - what does that prove? What goes around comes around and those names have not always been "big". You tell my you had a "masters" division but don't have a "People's Choice". Strange.

I am sincerely glad you had a successful show and you're satisfied with the results. It's not my place to rebuke that. I commented on a particular piece based on anatomical correctness, artistic design, and the "wow" factor. Show us what beat it out as BOC.

19. ed150

ed150 deer city time

very nice work,love the comp. aspect

20. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Wanting to read later. Nice mounts