1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Scale Loss

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by boone90, Feb 19, 2007.

1. boone90

boone90 Dan Hastings

Hello fish taxidermists, I want to start fish taxidermy so I took the tail section of a sockeye from my parents while they were canning to practice- I got it skinned and fleshed no problem however ALL of the scales fell off! I was curius how you keep all of those scales on the fish ?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Most of all it starts off with proper care for the fish. If the fish was miss handled prior to you then there's nothing you can do. Now if you have a good fish like this and there's a lot of scales, I suggest you take salt and place a thin coat all over the fish scales. Don't salt the head or fins. Leave this on for about two hours or more. By touching the skin you will see it getting real hard. (it's the salt pulling out the moisture) When the skin puckers under you pressing on it, then it's time to skin it out. This will aid in keeping all of those scale on. After that a soaking in fresh water will then bring the skin back to life.