1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st time getting stiffed in 8 years

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by kruz, Mar 10, 2010.

1. i had to send out my first certified letter on Monday to a customer who will not answer any of the attempts of contacting him for his deer mount. I know he recieved it today cause i got the confirmation of delivery. Lets see if he attempts to call or pick up his mount.

2. Good luck I hope it all works out.

3. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

I have 4 mounts (3 Rams 1 Boar) here now by 1 guy that will not return my calls or certified letter. It sucks but the down fall of business

4. like i mentioned to you rt i have them two fish the guy only owes me 75 dollars and cant get ahold of him and hes a long time friend, gave me a 100 to start and when fish were done gave me another 50 and being a long time friend like 10-15 years i said take the fish and pay me next week out of your check and that was almost 3 months ago but the economy is hurting everyone right now and if he paid me all would be forgivin but we will see

5. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    I mount 250+ animals per year, 10 years ago I'd get 1 or 2 customers like that Now on an average year I get 15-20 that sand bag me ,hide from me,will not return my calls, and some times will not even sign for the certified letters. Why? I think mostly it's the economy they want the mount but just do not have the money to pay for it. I try to be patient with them but when the time comes around 6 months I just sell them and move on. Good luck

6. i offered this man the option of making payments, i told him in the letter that we would work something out that he can afford to pay, i know times are tough for people but at least answer the phone or the letter and let me know something, if not in14 days it will become mine and i will list it to be sold. All i ask for is a response, its not that hard, either you want it or you don`t.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

To each his own, you can be a hard butt and threaten to sell it in 14 days, or just hang it on the wall, they will come and get it some day, just not on YOUR time schedule. The customer is not responsible for your bills, truck payment, or mortgage. If they sign a contract, they are bond to that, or you can let them slide. Jim Tucker posted here how a customer came and paid for his mount years after it was done. Thats bonus money. If one mount is going to break your bank, you ain't living right. Now if you were like gunner62 and had two dozen slackers, I would clean house after a year.

8. RTtaxidermy

My guy threaten me when I said he had 60 Days and then I was going to sell them he said If you sell them I will do what I have to do legally or illegally and then he hung up on me. That was a year and a half ago . At least they are mounts that I don't have all but one the hog anyway they look good in the show room so I will hang on to all 4 of them

9. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

I have to respectfully disagree...
    Most business people count on customers picking up and paying for the goods/services they contracted for...that's how we all pay our bills. When I do the work on a mount, I expect to be paid for the work, otherwise, I would do something else with my valuable time. The time I waste on a mount where the customer is going to duck and dodge me afterwards, is time better spent on a mount that will be paid for promptly.
    I understand completely that situations occur to individuals beyond thier control, such as loss of job, or a loved one, etc, but a simple phone call or email stating the inability to pay at this time would be welcome in most instances. Preferably, before work is even begun, so that said taxidermist can just shelve the production of the finished mount until the customer can afford to pay for it. I don't think that's asking too much..I mean, you make the time for a customer to drop off his critter,write him up, listen to several different versions of how he came to be in possession of said critter, go over poses, completion time estimates, plus actual specimen prep..skinning, salting, etc...But very few of them will ever call and say: "Hey, this is so and so, and I was just calling to let you know that I am not working right now, baby was just born, engine blew on the truck, grandma died,etc, and just hold off on working on my mount untill I am up and running again, thx."
    That rarely happens. When a customer calls after I notify him that his piece is finished, and he states that it will be x amount of time till he can get it because of whatever reason, that's fine..I hang it on the wall and call again after the new agreed upon time comes up. Usually this is agreeable, and works just fine. Other times, it is just a ruse used by a delinquent person to buy more time and get you off thier back for a few more weeks.
    Since the economy has gone south, I have gotten alot of these customers lately. My most common stry from the guys you have to call multiple times is: "Sorry, I have just been really busy". Well gee, so was I, when I caped your deer, prepped it for the tannery,shipped it, had it tanned, ordered the supplies, mounted it, finished it, airbrushed it, groomed it, and let's not forget mailing out several notices, and leaving 20 messages after waiting for your ponderously long menu on your cell phone..not to mention the messages on your home phone which you inexplicably "never got".
    So, after I figure my price on a mount, and then go through the aforementioned series of tasks, I expect to be paid. When one customer stiffs you, you can move on, but when you have to chase several of them, it becomes exhausting to chase them around. It certainly isn't fair to my other customers who pay promptly, within a reasonable amount of time from notification. The time I took to do the delinquent mounts could most certainly have been put to better and lucrative use on the paying customers, which, let's be honest, are the real ones we want coming back anyway, not the guy we have to send registered letters to, and leave 20 messages for.....
    So, if a delinquent customer shows up a year or two later, and picks up his mount, I really CANT consider it "FOUND MONEY", can I? It would be more accurate to describe that situation as recovering the initial financial loss, but certainly NOT valuable time...
    Thx, Rich

10. strutinh

strutinh Member

In my contract they pay BEFORE I start the mounting process, if they don"t have they money to finish I go onto the next one, now it's in their ball park, they have the opertunity to pay in full at any time, the faster they pay in full the quicker and higher on the list they go,,,, but you have to be careful with how you spend the money

11. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Currently, I have a clause that says I will sell them after 30 days, but have only had to threaten it three times last year after 60 days and no returned calls. Two of the three eventually picked them up since I actually hold onto them for 6-10 months. Of the ones who eventually pick them up, what would you think about adding something to your contract that says mounts not picked up after a certain amount of time will be charged 25% for late fees and inconveniences?

12. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

good so far knock on wood

13. I have 5 that I can get no return call on. That totals to a little over $3000 I'm owed after you consider deposits I got for them. 3 have been finished for 6 months now. My problem is that my garage is my shop for now. I have no room in my home to keep or hang these mounts. The garage is where they must stay. I worry that they will have problems from the humidity I have here in FL, witch with the warming coming now will cause problems sooner or later. I have left messages of my concerns with them and can see this possibly being a problem for me. :-\

14. JBuresh@ICT

[email protected] Turkey Creek Furs and Wildlife Studio

I got one for ya. I have a shoulder mount deer on the wall that was finished and ready to go LAST JULY!! I have talked to this guy several times on the phone and he says " Ill come and get it this week end." And never shows up. The real kicker is, He paid, IN FULL, when he brought it in. He doesn,t owe a dime. So what gives? I am not a storage facility..

15. RTtaxidermy

My 4 have been done since two January's a go

16. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

This is my first year and i have one that will not pick his up...he started calling a month ahead of when the deer would be finished and now that its done hes a no show...go figure

17. Bluehealer

Bluehealer Daddys little girl, first deer..

I have two whitetails from 2008 season that I couldn't get call backs on and no replies after certified letters. They are both hanging as displays in two of the local deer processing plants. This year had the guy call me wanting to know why his deer was hanging in the processing plant, I told him they were MY deer now but I would gladly sell him one for $425....lol

He hung up and that has been 4 months ago.

18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

It seems like the ones who keep calling wondering what's taking so long are the ones who end up taking a long time picking them up.

19. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

That right there is one of the truest statements in taxidermy..the guy with the biggest mouth has the least cash when it's done!

20. X3 I had a guy last year who said he would pick up his mount the same day I notified him his deer was done. Didn't show--he called amonth later said he got into a car accident on the way over to get his mount. BS that deer still hangs in my shop. Must got amneasia!