1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Poor mounts in magazines

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Warbird, Mar 11, 2010.

1. James Dalueg

James Dalueg New Member

The Sporting Industry keeps promoting this 2nd rate vision of wildlife. Take for example Cabelas, Bass Pro and other like minded chain stores. When I first went to my very first quite a number of years ago I would spend all day staring at the stuff. Now when I go, its straight to the Clear out rooms LOL I dont bother looking because they are too embarrassing to view.

I'm sure the outfits who have been awarded the contracts are reputable? I have no idea who or how, but the workmanship and final product is pretty grim. I'm sure that is because its a bidding process and lowest bid gets the contract. You cant tell me it's because they cant afford to pay for decent mounts or exhibits. Last time I visited the Michigan Cabelas store I was going to write 'Help-Dust Me' in the side of one of the life size whitetails..........My wife actually kicked me in the shin and told me to grow up!

Off topic a bit here....can anyone direct me to a source of decent taxidermy on display? My kid's absolutely love the stuff.

2. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

"Off topic a bit here....can anyone direct me to a source of decent taxidermy on display? My kid's absolutely love the stuff."

Cole, Matt, and Dustin Clarks(The Taxidermists) showrooms. LOL

3. James, if you ever get a chance to go through Northern Indiana stop by the Cabelas store in Hammond. The taxidermy work is all top notch except for the sad looking turkey mounts they have displayed.

4. 9 ou of 10 customers don't know good from bad. Some just want to save money. Some have even tried to talk down the price by saying I don't have to make theirs look that good!

5. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

That's to bad. I stop looking at the racks a long time ago. One guy came up to me in are show at the last day and pointed at a deer antlers and said, what do you think?. It was a big 10 point and really nice set of antlers,the thing is I was in there all 3 days never seen it. And I was one of the deer judges LOL

6. BeachBuck

BeachBuck New Member

Makes me feel good about the work im putting out.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

the last time I was in Cabelas in Dundee Michigan, about two years ago, they had a Muskrat mounted standing on a rock in the trout stream, and it was falling apart, rotted from the pond water. It wasn't built for the long haul, the mouth had opened and peel back exposing the face of the form.

8. Yeah, makes me feel proud of my talents ! I know the type, they just don't appreciate the time and effort, the "Jerry Springer" type. Hell, I might as well open a drive- thru window.

Nina, I love your avatar. Deer really has a "soft" look. Your artwork has much improved..........John
    [​IMG]

9. bear_country01

bear_country01 Active Member

The person that shot that thing is only looking at the antlers. Most people don't pay close attention to the work of the taxidermist unless you are a taxidermist. lol

10. That deer was shot right down the road west of me 20miles, guy was in vehicle and saw it, got out and shot it. Thats rifle hunting. It is a buck of a lifetime and I notice the mount when I saw the magazine as well. Some people just get lost in the horns they dont see anything else.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Most dont see the difference? Really. Many do. I built my business on that. If the majority will take it to any guy they find, Ill accept that. I dont wanna be any guy, so I looked for and found those who see the difference. Funny thing is, even those guys get bombarded by the free mount sales pitch when a big buck is killed. That used to torque me, but now I just worry about what I do have, not the ones I do not have. Ill get it later as a remount! ;)

12. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

I agree that there are plenty of people who know good work when they see it. However I have found that there are actualy alot of people who dont realy see much difference, until they get a nice mount hanging by a hacksidermist mount that is, then they finally see the difference. At that point, ya, some that previously were quite happy with their POS mount find that they now grow to hate it and put it out in the garage or want it redone.

13. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I am allways educating my customers and they, in return educate their huntting Buddy's. This is all you can do.
    Because most all of them just look at the antlers and then the neck and then back at the antlers.

14. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

Wish I could see the picture!

15. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

We are with Mr. Yox on this one........ Besides, we make more money on re-mounts anyway..

16. Sorry, I accidently deleted it. I'll get it back up.......John
    [​IMG]

17. Here ya go. I cut the title off in case there's some kind of copyright infringement................John
    [​IMG]

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

You are so right. I've been to 4 different Cabela's, and for the most part, the mammal mounts (especially on the mountain) are sub-par work. But when you stand around and listen to the customers oooing and ahhhing, it makes me want to puke.

19. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Most people don't see those flows. We are aware of them because it's what we do, but the general public isn't. If you show them a comparison, they see it, and their next might go to a quality dermist.

20. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

It surprizes me how some of the mounts in Breakthrough aren't that great, The Kudu pedestal mount that Joe Meder did was a very poorly done piece. I was shocked when I saw it. I guess in the end it all just comes down to opinion, and everybody has one.