1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

DIY Camo Dip Kit

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jaclinto, Mar 11, 2010.

1. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

Thought some guys here would enjoy - www.camodipkit.com - I think one kit would allow you to dip 5-6 deer skulls. Maybe more.

2. awesome looking product, but has anyone ever used it to cover a skull? If so do you have a pic. of the final result?

3. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    looks good , but economical its not! 115.00 plus shipping aint cheap or economical. I could buy a great aftermarket stock for my rifle for that much.but if your good enough to pull the skull off everytime it wouldnt be a bad add on for 25 0r 30 dollars.

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Seems too easy. Interesting thing to try.

5. RTF

RTF Active Member

Way too much money.

6. i just showed it to a friend and he wants to try it, so i told him to buy it and we can try it. let you guys and gals know what it looks like. his dime not mine

7. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    LOL! thats the best way!! looking forward to your report!!

8. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

I would like to see a skull done as well. I have seen some at shows that look really cool

9. I got a buddy that tried it and his stuff looks pretty good. We were thinking you would have to charge $50-75 per skull to make a profit and pay for the kit otherwise its not worth the effort or money spent. He said he can get about 4-6 per kit and shipped to his door is $130. So divide that by 5 skulls and thats $26 each just to cover the cost of the kit. So definitely about $75 add on for dipped skulls in my area. I get $175 for a skull on a plaque already which is like 200% profit lol. It only costs me about $5 in materials plus an hour of actual working time ( i dont consider standing by the boiling pot sipping a cold beer working time) my shop rate is $50 an hour so I got $55 invested plus the $26 for dip comes to $81 cost per dipped skull, so I would probably go $225 each on dipped. Something I just thought of though, my shop time would probably go up an extra 30 minutes for dipping so do you charge another half hour for labor??? I want to advertise these next season and am gonna order the kit he uses and let him walk me through one so i dont waste materials.

10. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

does your buddy have a pic he could show me ?

11. mmhanas

mmhanas New Member

Hello,
    Call Tarjac, search on google, they will do a deer size skull, providing it is cleaned already, for $35.00 for taxidermists. They are in New York, lots of camo patterns, I am getting ready to send a few out next week, for that price I don't think it's worth messing with. Here is the post, I found it. http://www.tarjac.com/

12. Yea jaclinto, he sent me one as a text it wasnt too great of a pic but the skull looked pretty good. I will see if he can get me a better one to share with you guys. I wouldnt dare send something like that off to new york for $35. You gotta pay shipping both ways and then you risk someones head being damaged??? I used to work in a ups sorting facility and trust me a lot of crushed broken glass packages roll through. I can just imagine telling someone that his 160" class deer skull was crushed in shipping. For $130 for a kit that does around 5-6 heads his looked pretty good just charge around $50 each to make a profit. Then that opens up the opportunity of wholesale dipping for other taxidermists that dont have time to mess with it.

13. mmhanas

mmhanas New Member

Yea,
    shipping is a gamble sometimes, but not most times. Don't know many people who are goingto send a 160" set of horns to get dipped, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll let you know how it turns out anyway.

14. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

I always get worried about shipping things too - would rather do it myself

15. I was just using 160" class antlers as an example. What if its a childs first 4 point and his dad wants it camo dipped for christmas? He drops it off to you because he likes your displays and entrusts you with his childs trophy that hes going to look at growing up and have the memories of his dad taking him to shoot this buck? Then you entrust UPS to take care of it?? Like I said, I worked in a UPS facility, those packages get stepped on and crushed and thrown. We had atv and truck parts that were sitting on top of boxes of decorative expensive candles in the truck. These candles are $30 bucks each and boxes of em were ruined at christmas time due to that crap bouncing around on the interstate. All I am saying is I'm not trusting any carrier with MY BUSINESS, WELLBEING, and INCOME if I am charging the customer extra. I will experiment and learn how to properly do it myself or find someone locally to do it.

16. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I explain to them up front that I ship them out for that process. Hopefully they would understand a little if something were to happen.

I also reinforce the packages inside with 1/8 inch plywood.

17. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

so who is going to be the guinea pig with this kit - I am curious how easy/hard it is

18. rebel

rebel New Member

my kit should be here tomorrow

19. mmhanas

mmhanas New Member

Sounds like you got it figured out. Good Luck, can't wait to hear how they come out. A few months ago I contacted a few of the major manufacturing companies who sell the products you will need the do "Water transfer printing", which is what they call the technique used to dip skulls.I wanted to get set up and possibly practice on a dozen or so, in different patterns, and display them at a friends hunting and fishing store. EVERY company was tight lipped and would not offer any info, unless I bought their "entry" level set -ups which the cheapest ran about $7000.00. I explained to them that I just needed to figure a few things out about the process, but they still would not budge. I did find some of the companies that would sell me the camo patterns, the activator, But I still needed to learn the proper temperature of the water, exactly how long to keep the skull in the water, and the other "little" things that matter most. Anyway, if you search "water transfer printing" on youtube, there is a few videos, here they are. I'm leaning more and more towards the DIY kit, because it may be able to answer the few questions I still have. Have Fun!

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwMPx4v8To

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPpfGYoIdsU&feature=related

This one is good also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxnzJIzjtfg&feature=related

20. jaclinto

jaclinto New Member

Rebel - awesome - can't wait to get your feedback - what camo pattern did you go with?