1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail drinking water

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Vince Spellane, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Can anyone tell me what happens to a deers mouth (shape) when it drinks water. I have about 7 ref pics but the front of the mouth is under the water. Looks like they must take in water through a sucking method but I'm not sure, and I'm thinking the front teeth would not show but I'm not sure. Any input or reference photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Vince

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

I looked through some of my reference and couldn't fine anything that would help you. If you go to corbis.com and punch in wt deer, you will have lots of looking to do, and there might be something to help you out.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Maybe these will help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like most hoofed mammals - Horses and the like - Deer tend to suck the water up. Their tongue may flick out a couple of times just at the excited thought of a cool drink of water, but the mechanism is a sucking up of the water into the mouth. They don't lap up water like Dogs, Cats, Bears, etc.

On those species that have upper and lower incisors, the teeth stay clenched ... closed. On those with only lower incisors, the mouth is also held closed, with the incisors tight against the front of the upper palate. The lips part slightly, with the front upper lip lifting with each gulp and the front of the lower lip pursing a bit ... not much ... but some, as the water is sucked into the mouth and swallowed. You will notice the ears acting like levers on a water pump as the animal swallows. Again, this is a subtle movement that is observed under a watchful eye.

John.

4. Matt thanks for the info on the reference pics, and John thank you....your knowledge of animals is amazing that is exactly what I was looking for. I feel the only way you can correctly mount an animal is to know what is happening and why it is happening, and that answers my questions. Thank you also for the excellent reference photos.

Thanks again
    Vince

5. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    I love those pics. Look at the pupil in the one. It is still level with the ground, and there is white showing in the front of both eyes on another. Great pics!!!!! thanks John.

6. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

John, great reference photos, and thanks for the explanation of how they drink.

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    One more for the masses! ;)
    [​IMG]

The only way I even know what I know about mammals is from getting - literally - in their faces. That and putting my hand in their mouth during various actions - eating, drinking, etc. - gives one experiences you not soon forget. ;) :eek: Front ends only! ;) ;D NEVER the rear ends! That "stuff" I study from a bit of a distance! ;D ::) But to truly learn what these creatures have to teach us, the only way to learn is up close and personal! ;)

Glad you all enjoy!

John.