1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear Butts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Cameraman, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

I need to work on my WT ear butts. I use the McKenzie natural ear liners but would like to try something different and maybe a new technique. So I would like to hear or see how others do theirs.
    I test fit the ear liners making sure they are a loose fit, wash them and the inside of the ear skin with Dawn, dry them good with a towel, then dry them again. I take the hide paste rub the liner down with a light coat insert it into the ear skin pulling the inner ear thru the hole at the bottom, taxi the skin around into place. I then pull the skin onto the manikin and before sewing the skin up I apply a roll of clay around the bottom of the ear liner sew the skin up adjust my ears into place run a rod threw the inside of the ear into the manikin to hold the ear into place until dry. I also card my ears with screen wire. Now I told you a long story on the whole ear but im really interested to see how others set the ears the ear butts it is a weakness of mine.
    like i said i just use the butts on the liners plus a roll of clay wraped around them. thinking about trying the Eppley liners?

2. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

i seen this post of Amy's that showed how she dug out the foam and done her ears nice job.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,86066.0.html

3. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

The way I've always done it is apply hide paste to the hide and the liner.

4. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

right paste to both the skin and liner. but i was mostly looking at how folks are doing the ear butts i posted a long drawn out thing to say i need ear butt info. thanks for your reply.

5. What don't you like? Are the ears drumming? Ear butt shape issues? What you are doing sounds fine as far as technique.

Bruce

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I use an epoxy adhesive on the liner. I clean the ear skin - front and back - with lacquer thinner to cut the oil, then apply the adhesive to the earliner, and install the liner. I spend as much time as I need to get all the adhesion going on, use plastic counted cross-stitch screening shaped to the tips and edges of the ear and held on with spring-type clothes pins, and let the epoxy set.

When I mount the head, one of the last things I do before closing the incision is build the ear butts. I use an ear base product mixed nice and dry, and after I sew the Deer closed, I pose the ears and shape the ear butts. Use references ... that's the only way your going to get the look of a live Deer.

Obviously I use earliners without the ear butt built in. I have used Nicky Bonura's earliners with earbutts in the past, but I really like the individual fit I get using ear base. Hope this helps.

John.

7. bobhunt

bobhunt New Member

i use rick carter ear liners, epoxy just beyond the inner ear fold, when dry i roll the ere back exposing the bottom of ear liner,roll a piece of clay approx 3/4 '' around base, work it up smoothly around bottom of ear, next put a kidney shape of clay approx 2 '' on top of that, after you mount the hide you can finish moulding the butt exact

8. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

If you realy want to learn ear butts and not be stressed by ear rotations and whatnot down the line, buy one of the ear butt casts like seen here in Glen Conleys article on ear butts (I cant seem to find who sells these anymore, maybe someone can help me out here) http://www.whitetailsystems.com/HiltonEppleysCritique.html. Then use a buttless earliner and build your ear butt, muscle by muscle, with clay or apoxie according to the cast. Do this enough times that you simply KNOW where everything should be. Then you can try packing your earbutts before applying the skin, just before sewing or whatever to find out what YOU prefer. Since you will at that point have a realy good understanding of what is under the skin at that time, you will have an easy time reproducing it from the outside (still using your cast and photo reference).

Hope that helps

9. BeachBuck

BeachBuck New Member

I like the eppleys.I make my own but w clay.

10. Cameraman, here's something for you to try.

Attached Files:

11. zubba

zubba Active Member

Here is what I do. I'm not expert, so to each their own I guess. I use Epply liners. Rough em up and remove the mold release. I then clay my ear butts on the form with the liners using reference. After I have the butts formed, I remove the butt/liner from the form and place in the freezer as a whole. (They look similar to the last picture RBMitchel posted) (I usually do this the day before I mount it I can). Then when I mount the deer, I clean the ear with laquer, and blow dry them so they are a bit 'tacky'. I use a 5 minute epoxy to glue the liners in. Since you froze the butt of clay to the liners, you basically have a solid butt at the end of your liner. Clay seems to thaw quickly, so by the time you sew up your Y, the clay is thawed enough where you can press/work it back against in the form. It seems when your butts are the right size, and the skin fits the form like it should, you don't need to stick a rod through your ears to hold them in place. Obviously test fit your liners, because you have 5 minutes to get your skin aligned and air bubbles out...which is plenty of time, and after 5 minutes, they aren't going anywhere. Seems to work for me. I just like claying the butts without any skin on so I can easily see the size and shape.

12. Cameraman

Cameraman Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will give a few of these a try; I have never been satisfied with my ear butts. WOW RB that is a cool demonstration loved the pictures.