1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Archie Phillips reproduction largemouth bass

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by backcountrychad, Mar 13, 2010.

1. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

looking to buy already painted bass, anyone used Archie Phillips already painted bass before?

2. You get what you pay for. My customers would not be happy with a painted Archie Philips replica

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Archie sees people happy with them every day. I bet your customer will be satisfied.

4. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

Thanks guys, for the replys.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Then Archie has different customers than I do. I'm sorry, but they look terrible. They barely resemble the species they are supposed to represent. Just my $.02.

6. I agree Cole, Archie targets a different type of client. I know there are guys buying his blanks and putting a real nice paint job on it and doing ok. I'm even afraid to do that.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Who is it for?

I wouldn't give one to a taxidermy customer....maybe to a restaurant wanting some decor.

They look 100% better if you paint them yourself...BUT they still are the most unnatural looking blanks for bass you can get IMO.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have one of these in my shop at all times for sale....I have never had a customer guess them to be reproductions. When someone wants a repro, I can make more selling them an "Archie" blank for $275 than I can on any other brand for $400+...I'm in this to make money and impress customers, not other taxidermists.

9. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

In somewhat of Joey's defense will use an Archie blank for commercial sales (and they do sell), but I will paint it myself! :D

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That may work for you Joey, but I GUARANTEE I would not have a single customer select a Phillips finished blank if I hung it in my showroom. It would be hanging next to my custom cast and finished bass, and while they aren't the greatest, they are a heck of a lot better than that crap. I'd be embarrassed to hang it in there to begin with.

11. I have never bought a painted on because they look like crap. If you get a decent paint job on them they look ok. I have sold a few of the Bass and several of the panfish.

12. dannyk

dannyk New Member

Archie has made more money & more friends & more of an impact on the taxidermy industry than
    any of you guy's can ever DREAM of . IF YOU DON"T LIKE HIS BLANKS DON'T BUY THEM BUT DON'T TALK BAD ABOUT MR. PHILLIPS.

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Is that you Archie??

Nobody said a dang word about Archie. We just answered the TOPIC truthfully.

Business model wise Archie is great...but those blanks are old and outdated. They don't look natural. Like I said they are fine for decor as long as my name isn't on it....but if I am sending out work that is going to represent MY fish taxidermy THOSE blanks WON'T be used.

14. dannyk

dannyk New Member

I personally saw Archie's new blanks at the Al. convention and they are 100% better than his older style.
    The new design has thinner fin's and more detail in the mouth.But that is my opion .
    (AND THAT'S ALL I GOT TO SAY ABOUT THAT)

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Archie Danny, no one said a thing about Archie Phillips, at least not in this thread. Plenty has been said in the NTA and PA threads in the last year, so why don't you direct your attention to those. The question was asked about finished phillips bass, and my answer was as honest as it could have been. I said "they look terrible...they barely resemble the species they are supposed to represent" I honestly feel this way, and unless the new ones look different than the flyer I just got from them, I stand by that statement.

What difference does it make if he has friends? What difference does it make if he's made a couple bucks? What difference does it make if he's made a big impact on the industry? (whether that impact be good or bad is debatable) None of that has anything to do with the quality of his finished replicas, and it sure as hell has nothing to do with the type of man he is. ::) ::) ::)

16. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

To me the finished blanks look cartoon-ish. I have seen the one's Randy Budzinsky, has painted and they look nice. That, however, is Randy's talent showing through, not the quality of the blank.

17. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I agree

18. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

i did one a few weeks back. ordered it from WASCO and didn't realize it was an archie blank. i painted the fish myself and the guy tipped me an extra 20 for doing a "Great" job. now obviously there are many people who can paint a fish much better than i can on here. However i know my area, no one in my immediate area beats me at fish. they almost all end up here or i end up repainting the ones that other people did. the quality of replicas is the last thing that a person is concerned with. they want that awesome paint job. i know what a "Great" blank is and im certainly not gonna argue with the fact that his dont fall into that category. but for the area i am in its the best bang for my buck, the painting is the biggest thing because they really dont know the difference.