1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How I count ( guesstimate) Beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Bugz 2 Bonz, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Bugz 2 Bonz

Bugz 2 Bonz Skull Cleaning / Central Ohio

Had a few guys ask how I count (guesstimate) beetles when selling them. What I do is put a piece of bologna on a potato masher and place in tank ,when the bologna is covered i pull it out and dump into container. I figure 500 each dump. Here are some pics of how I came up with this .

The first pic is a 8x8 glad dish. There are over 200+ beetles in this pic. I counted them

Attached Files:

• 135.JPG
      135.JPG
      File size:
      90.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Bugz 2 Bonz

This next pic is the bologna on the potato masher. With bugz on it before its dumped

Attached Files:

• 136.JPG
      136.JPG
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:

3. Bugz 2 Bonz

This pic is of bugz after two pieces of bologna were dumped into the same container as the first pic with over 200 bugz in it. Let me know how many you guys think are in the container after two dumps.

This was not directed towards anyone. Just wanted to get some thoughts on my method.

Attached Files:

• 139.JPG
      139.JPG
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
  4. If the first pic had 200 beetles then there must be over 2,000 in the last pic because that sure has heck looks like WAY more than 10x as many.

I'd say there would be at least 5,000 after two bologna dumps. LOL that sounds weird...

5. I count 3700 ish.

6. Do the adult beetles eat flesh also or just the larvae?

7. ndindy

ndindy New Member

Adults do some of the work but the larvae do the bulk of it. They grow and pupate pretty fast, takes lots of fuel to make that happen.

8. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

That's a neat system, Bugz. I just got my first shipment of 300+ and wondered how some of you estimate the numbers.

9. Spysar

Spysar Member

If that's what you sell as a thousand (two dumps), I sure don't think your ripping anyone off.

10. i think i am being conservative when i say 1500 - 2000. if you used these numbers and sold as 2000 i dont think that you would ever have anyone complain. i like your method.

11. Looks like I received way more than quoted when I orderd my first bugs.

12. seems like most of us want a good mix when we get bugs, but i think overall if you get more adults your colony grows much quicker

13. EMX

EMX New Member

kewl method but doesn't seem very consistant LOL.

14. beetleguy85

beetleguy85 New Member

Canada
    Sweet method, wouldn't mash my potatoes with that masher!

15. I got my bugs from him and he definetly used the bologna method. There were way more than quoted. He's a great guy to deal with. Jess sifford

16. AH7

AH7 New Member

Why not just count them?

Just kidding!