1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Jawset SMELLS!

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Silverose01, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

Got a jawset from vandykes for a fox and when I opened the bag, this bad odor came out
    It's the jawset piece, not the tongue that smells and I was wondering if anyone else had that problem. ?
    I don't like touching it cause it leaves the smell on em lol

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Oh, c'mon ... now this is ridiculous!!! It's the plastic, for crying out loud. It's injection molded plastic ... get over it and move on. Tongues are rubber and can have their own odor. Some plastics are stronger in odor than others, but it's nothing to get worked up about! Can't wait until you cut bone with a dull blade!!! :eek: :p P-U!

John.

3. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

what the hell is the odor smell like? like john said its plastic... why woul;d you be afraid to touch it?

4. Silverose01

Lol I didn't say I was afraid to touch it
    I just don't like the smell of it. I've never had a jawset befre and was just wonderin why it smelled the way it does and if all of em smelled that way
    I've had rotted green skins before and wow those are rank too

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Kari, it's just the fumes from the injection molding they used. That jawset probably has been in that plastic bag for the last 25 years anyway. It's not untypical to have some residual odor that dissipates quickly when exposed to fresh air.

6. Silverose01

Ok haha
    I never knew plastic could smell that strong.
    Thanks for the info. I love this site with all the information on here

7. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Lolll, I know what you mean, sometimes, soft plastic have that "disgusting" smell that does not go away. I remember the girls receiving Christmas gifts and once out of the package, I was in the living room trying to find out where the heck was the smell coming from and it was a little doll they had received, surprisingly, they lost the doll very fast lolll ::) some of the soft rubber/plastic do smell really bad.

8. LordRusty

Ohio
    Well, all plastics are petroleum byproducts ... derived from oil ... and all petroleum and its by products smell! Some of those "rubbery" plastics smell the worst! Good or bad - they're the products we all use! Beats using the real jaws hands down![​IMG]

Nice try Kari ... but you changed your post! You did originally say you were afraid to touch them (the jaws) ... so "Nana-Nana-Nanee!"[​IMG]

John.

9. Silverose01

They should make a How Its Made episode on this lol
    I don't think id want to use the real jaws, those teeth'll crack definitely

Haha and I didn't say I was afraid. I said "I don't even wanna touch the thing" lol
    I changed it to say "cause it gets the smell on em"

10. yeah its just the smell of plastic... spritz some perfume on it and it will be good LOL... thats what i do with smelly things! PERFUME CURES ALL lmao

11. Silverose01

12. Silverose01

Lol I had originally tried washin it with soap

Another question. Do all jawsets have a smell from plastic or is it just the vandykes set I had got

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I was about to say the don't, but after all these years, I'm not sensitive to Bondo smell, epoxy resin or lacquer paints much any more. So they probably do. I use Mohr jawsets and I don't notice it at all.

14. Silverose01

Haha I would think that you might get used to it after a while
    I was planning on gettin a mohr next time, they look better
    But yeah, I'm real sensitive of magic sculpt. Makes my eyes burn

15. LordRusty

Ohio
    There are different "grades" of plastic, just as there are different "grades" of gasoline. Heck, George and I remember when the different "grades" of gas were really different than they are today. Unleaded ran more efficiently and cleaner than leaded ... which they no longer sell in this country.

The same goes for plastic. There are cheaper varieties, and much better varieties. I don't know what makes one better than another ... that's chemistry, and I always sucked at chem., but there is a difference.

I know when I open a set of Mohr Jaws there is a rush of a mild aroma, but it quickly dissipates. That tells me Harvey Mohr uses a higher grade of polystyrene pellets in his plastic. I've used cheaper sets in the past ... when that was the norm ... and there is a noticeable difference. Some time in open air eliminates the smell. Some take a few days more than others, but the smell will go away, and they will hold just a faint "plastic" smell, but it's not bad. Leave them stand out for a few days, and they'll be fine.

John.