1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gonna Tan My Beaver

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WildlifeLady, Mar 15, 2010.

1. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I just skinned a beaver that a friend brought from NC. God, I thought coyotes were bad. I'd pick a dozen of them over a beaver any day!

Fleshed and salted. Anyone use Krowtann on a beaver? I've been using it on capes with good results.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, now that we're over the personal part of this, what do you intend doing with it? If you're intending to make a soft fur, hanging hide, I'd suggest several other alternatives. ONE: professionally tan and TWO: Use a professional tan, good oil, and a lot of backbreaking work. HOWEVER, if you're going to mount it and you've had "good results" in the past, then go for what works for you.

3. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I am just doing the hide. I couldn't get through the rest of it. I actually had two, gave one to a local taxidermy friend. That one weighed in at over 65 lbs.

4. George

Again, it depends on your intent. If you're going to make a "hoop" out of it and stretch it out for display, you should be OK. If you're going to use it as a "blanket" or a "drape" over a chair, professionally tan it.

5. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Thank you...

6. cwt

cwt Active Member

I krowtanned one this year for a guy who didnt wanna pay for the proffesional tan, it took alot of breaking on my part but he liked it.

7. Should have been cheaper to send it out then. Why should you tanning it or sending it out be any different. All the same steps are required and you probably spent more time.

8. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I just got word from Rinehart that my tanner is being shipped this week, so I will trying it out!!!!

9. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

can i watch....teheeeeeeeeeheheheheh.

10. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    You can when I SHAVE it... ;D

11. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Lol

12. Dang!! A video tutorial would be nice!

13. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Ha...ha...hard to run the video and hold the beaver at the same time!!!! :D

14. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

yoooowwww shave that wood eating beaver! yooowwwwww!!

15. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

George will hold the camera!!!

16. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Guess i dont understand that statement. I have one price for tanning a beaver, or tanning a deer, or whatever it may be, Whether i send it out or do it here. I would rather send it out and give him a quality product. I'd still be money ahead by sending it out, and he'd be even happier... ;D

17. Why anyone would try to home tan one of those PITA smelly flattails... I will not know.. Especially when you can get it done for $25 or less at several tanneries...

18. George

x2 No "options" in my shop either.

19. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    I can't believe anyone would tan one for $25 after what I've experienced doing this one...and no...George can't hold the camera...

20. George

Guys on here don't like my picture taking ability anyway. However, if I could watch and see real close, I'm pretty adept at words to vividly describe it.