1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Don't know why

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mark w, Mar 15, 2010.

1. mark w

mark w Member

I do 10-20 deer a year, flesh, salt over night, wash, pickle 3 days, shave, put back in pickle one day, neutralize for 30 min. rinse, spin dry, McKenzie tan, shampoo, drain and towel dry, freeze. Hides appear fine, when I mount, hair in spots pulls out very easy, when the mount has dried the hair tightens up, just don't know what I'm doing. Input would be appreciated.
    Thanks Mark

2. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Try salting your hide and leave to semi dry 3 days before you pickle, I have used Mckenzie for about 6 years with no hair slip I find it really locks in the hair well. I know that Mckenie calls for salting over night then pickle but try to dry a little longer to help set the hair. This works for me.

3. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

Are you pulling the hair to check the tightness of it?? If you are, then stop pulling on it. A slipping hide will have the top layer of skin slide of by merely running your hand over it. The hair folicals sometimes will allow the hair to be pulled out very easily when the hide has been pickled/tanned and then tighten back up once it has dried as you stated.

4. mark w

mark w Member

Thanks for the input
    Mark