1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question for you water based paint users

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Shawn73, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

i personally use lacquer paints but i have a friend that cant seem to get his airbrush clean enough. what do you guys use for cleaning and or stripping the paint.

2. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I have a Badger 350, and after each use, I will take off the whole tip. I use plain water, and a needle. I scrape any paint off the hard to reach places with the needle. I'm sure there is some solvent out there to clean up water based paint, but I just use water. It is easier to clean the thing after each use, rather than wait to clean it when it is time to start painting.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

run windex between colors and after each use and that is pretty much all that is needed just don't let it dry in the gun.

4. ammonia (25%) and water (75%) will cut it.

5. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Windex here also, its the bomb for water based paints clean up.... ;)

6. I tried Windex & it didn't do much good. Last year I found out you've got to use the real Windex. The generic will not work. I switched & it works great.

7. bnoody

bnoody Member

Rubbing alcohol will clean waterbased paints. I often also use it rather than water to thin the paint and also add a little retarder.

If the airbrush needs a good cleaning from water based paints, soak it in the alcohol and everything should come clean easily.

8. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Same here, either Windex or rubbing alcohol between each color and after I am done painting.

9. bird artist

bird artist New Member

Windex is also great for cleaning up acrylics!
    aaron

10. Northdakotan

Northdakotan New Member

when you say dont let the windex dry in your gun do you mean to just blow air through it until dry or run water through?

11. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

OK guys . this works... use the Wildlife Colors ---- Cleaner. It thins.... It will take the dry paint off any thing if you soak it. It will also take the over spray off of feathers with a Q tip.

12. Phillip

Phillip New Member

I agree with you idbatman. Use the material that was designed to do the job.

13. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

windex for me that works great

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Another for windex, works well for me, but have heard ammonia and water works better

15. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

Water between paints and when I'm finished at the end of the day I clean with Windex.