1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Coyote Soft Plush... Please critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by midnightwolfdesigns, Mar 15, 2010.

1. midnightwolfdesigns

midnightwolfdesigns New Member

Well, here it is! My first soft plush coyote mount, and 4th mount ever. (Started with two fox, and one coyote rug that I am working on in conjunction with this yote). Let's just say this is my first successful, completed creation! This was a craft grade coyote that I got from Shelby (PLTannery) for practice. So the pelt is soft and fluffy but not perfect, (and neither is my work) The fur on this yote was kinda rough, there are some thin areas and a few slips that I tried to hide. But I think it came out okay for my first try. What do y'all think?

Still have one more craft coyote to mount for practice. PLEASE help me do better on the next one. Thanks!!

**I am really not happy with the ears but the epoxy I used to set the earliners in the form hardened much faster than I expected. Tried to adjust them but they were set rock hard! Not sure what the best product to use would be... **

Attached Files:

2. midnightwolfdesigns

Another pic, taken outside...

Attached Files:

3. midnightwolfdesigns

One last pic, here is the whole coyote.

4. midnightwolfdesigns

Oops, here's the pic:

Attached Files:

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

You know, that thing could be really convincing walking down the street!

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Matt, that's what I was gonna say...lol

Work on the ears next time, and the eyes aren't set qute right, he almost looks crosseyed, but not quite. Nose is a tad crooked and it might be the pic but I think one nostril is larger than the other. Not too bad tho ;)

7. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

A hot babe with her pet yote, I like it!! lmao

8. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

A gorgeous specimen. Looks good to me, but I've never yet done any mount at all. It looks alive, make me want to pet it. :)

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I don't get the "plushy" thing. Why?

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Nothing says cute and cuddly like loose coyote hair all over your house.

11. Wolfwoman

Yup T, you've made this quite clear in other posts and I think the WHY has been explained to you before. So I counter, WHY NOT??

12. **I am really not happy with the ears but the epoxy I used to set the earliners in the form hardened much faster than I expected. Tried to adjust them but they were set rock hard! Not sure what the best product to use would be... **

Critter clay :)

and exactly wolfwoman.... Why do anything? lol... Why mount an animal? The answer is Why the heck not lol. The "plushy" thing mr T has me working full time lol... The plushy thing pays my bills and rent :) I personally like real mounts better... but hell... whatever sells , sells.

13. Mink

Mink New Member

Not bad at all! Just keep studying reference pictures to smooth up your detail work on the face. I personally prefer regular mounts, but that's a nice looking plush! I had to make a plush fox for a customer once, and it nearly drove me insane trying to get the legs to look right... so I don't typically do them, (and I would charge a LOT more if I had to make another!) but you got that coyote's shape to look quite convincing! My fox still looked like a squishy wiener dog when I was finished with it.. But the customer liked it so I guess that's what matters!

14. Wolfwoman

Isn't that the truth LP, I'd like to try my hand at taxidermy too, but right now my hats and mitts are paying the bills, so that's what I do!

15. Exactly...And your using the fur that no one else wants! so its a win win!

16. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

How is the head done? Like, is it a hard forme or something else? He's cute anyway. I'm not good at critiquing because I suck myself so I leave it to the experts!... =D

17. Silverose01

Silverose01 Proud member of LTBBOI

I've been doin a lot of those "plushys" for people on another site
    They sell real great and I think I'm gettin good at head mounts :)
    I don't think of them as serious mounts. But they have a demand for em
    They have been paying for my lifesize skins and forms, my normal job gives me a day of work a week so these are just as they said. What sells sells