What are the best knifes used for skinning and where do I purchase them?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ZMAN88, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ZMAN88

ZMAN88 New Member

What knifes are the best ones to buy for skinning any/all animals and where can I purchase them also what is recommended for fleshing when it comes to knifes. Thanks

2. hounddoggy

hounddoggy New Member

By far the best are razor blades.....thats right, razor blades!!! best fleshing knife??? razor blades! paint store grade-NOT DULL BLADES FROM LOWES!!!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Scalpel blades, on a handle, any taxi supply. Use them on everything.

4. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

X2 I'm with Mr T

5. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

X4 Razor blades and scalpel blades on a handle, used for everything !

6. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

I use a scalpel to skin,razor blade to flesh and split.......buy one of those little gadgets that hold a double edged carpet blade from Tazzymoto....I love mine.

7. L-1

L-1 New Member

Scalpel blades #22 on a #4 handle. Ebay is the cheapest place I can find on handle and blades.

8. rorrer

rorrer New Member

The best in my opinion is #22 scalpel blades and #6 handle. You just cant beat a scalpel!

9. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

I use a utility knife and keep a hundered pack of blades on hand, works well for me.

10. I use a cap knife, can get at Van dykes for $7.59 each. Get it sharp and keep it sharp,keep a strope handy. Will last for years, mine have. If you can't learn to sharpen a knife fast then use the razor blades.

11. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady New Member

Ohio
    Rinehart has really good skinning and fleshing knives at reasonable prices. Scalpel is a must to keep on hand.(as well as band-aids)

12. procull

procull QLD WILD GAME HARVESTER

on roos,pigs,goats and deer and any general skinning i use a six inch vitronox rigid curved boning knife , for facial skinning i will stick to a exacto knife

13. Outback 33

Outback 33 U.S.A.

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Chicago Cutlery Pearing/Boning knife. I skin everything from mouse to moose with this knife. You can pick them up online, sometimes in stores, and I believe Matuska sells them as well. By far the best skinning knife I've used. Make sure you get the one that looks like this:
    [​IMG]