1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

thinning acylics with what?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by meopilite, Mar 17, 2010.

1. George No offense to Bailey, but You said she gave the "Correct answer" She also said that Alcohol will not work. I really really think you are having some issues today, perhaps its your old age, or perhaps its the fact that you are a cranky old fart? Who knows Im not a doctor.

But What you failed to miss was that the retarder and extenders CONTAINS ALCOHOL!!!!
    You also have a very well seasoned artist on here tell you that Alcohol does work. I have also spoke with many other artists who thin acrylics with alcohol to change its properties and to thin it.

This isnt about How many Nyala anyone has mounted. This is about you and your constant need to be right. and when you happen to not be you get upset and extra cranky.
    Again I am no doctor so I will not analyze that issue either.

The question again as you stated was How to thin Acrylics. and we answered it, but hey what the hell do I know.
    Im no doctor but I do have a BFA in Painting, drawing and sculpture. But we all know what you think of us college folks. Our degrees are as good as the paper you store next to the throne.

In short

Yes you can thin acrylics with alcohol and extenders.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

No Josh, I didn't miss that. Do you know WHY alcohol acts as a retarder? I do but since I'm not a fishhead I guess I should stay out of technical conversations.

Some of you one here are simply prima donnas that are so infuriated that someone who neither shares nor specializes in your particular nich could possible know something you don't YOU want to rationalize it as some "need" by that person to interfere in your crystal palace. I found long ago the the qualities you most dislike in others are those that you, yourself possess. And trust me Josh, you aren't exactly a paragon of smartness on some things you say.

I have no problem when I'm wrong, but lately some of you have this wired hair up your asses that seem to need manicuring. I ain't your Huckleberry and since ALL "show unread posts since last visit" comes up to include ALL categories, I really don't figure you fish guys have any claim to ownership of this site (unless Ken is keeping it secret). So all I can tell you and your other wired up zeros is that you have one of two choices: You can get over it, or you don't have to. I'm not going anywhere. I was here long before you showed up and, God willing, I'll be here long after youre gone.

3. George seriously What the heck is up with you?
    You hurl unsults left in right at people both new and old. This has nothing to do with any of the questions being asked. Not one single thing.

The question was HOW DO YOU THIN ACRYLICS! WE gave an answer and you feel the need to shoot it down. Then you feel the need to unsult some of us because we specialize in fish.
    Nobody is asking you to go anywhere. although I can think of a few suggestions at the moment.

Nobody here said ANYTHING about "Fishheads" having ownership of anything. We just supplied an ANSWER to the question something you fail to do time and time again.
    but you have NO issue insulting everyone you see on here.

I wonder would you say the same things in the same tone on here if we were face to face?

This statement pretty much sums you perfectly
    "God willing, I'll be here long after youre gone."

Real nice attitude there

4. Harum

Harum Active Member

OK George I'll add being ignorant and lacking chemistry skills to the list.
    I don't question Bailey's knowledge of the products she sells or her knowledge on painting (seeing as how she has an education on the subject). What I do question is your knowledge of mixing and applying paint.
    You need to explain your Nyala question. Are you saying that if I haven't mounted a Nayala then I don't know how to paint..? Or am I simply not a good taxidermist and shouldn't be helping others if I haven't mounted a Nayala? That is a strange one. Well to answer your question: No I have not mounted a Nyala. Here is a question for you. Seeing as how you're the self proclaimed defender of the beginners, do you think they will listen to you because your great ability to paint fish or that you mounted a Nyala? ;D

-Pete

5. George

No Pete, they won't. But they will listen because I talk directly to their level. I'm one of them. I'm a "taxidermist" in the conventional way who does a multitude of things, specializing in none, and doing them at a "commercial" level that the ordinary customer they deal with can afford. For some reason, not just in Fish category either, some think that they can homestead and rule that domain because of who they are or their talent level. Everyone is not that blessed and when they find the site, seldom see that there's a "beginner" category to meet their skill level. That's why I don't read posts by category. Now for a second, you and Josh take off your ego coat, and just tell me how many fish taxidermist in your phone book use "autobody acrylic lacquer". This guy may NOT have been a beginner, but there's almost 100% chance he's talking about the acrylic paints supplied by taxidermy supply companies. They don't sell "acrylic lacquer". When I worked on cars, we never referred to them as "acrylic", especially the metal flakes, and we had respirators with hoses on them when we went into the booths to spray them. For the run of the mill taxidermist using "acrylic lacquer" is simply not cost effective and most real taxidermist are simple nickels propping up a dime to begin with. Have you guys lost sight of that? Were you ever at that stage to begin with? I think Josh grew up in an "artist" family and married an artist. There's no learning curve when you're blessed like that, you're working on someone else's rote memory, not your own.

Now obviously, I'm not on your Christmas card list. That's fine with me, but just remember my signature line. When you catch me in a LIE, please let me know so I can correct it.

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Not to drift off topic, but retarder has alcohol in it??
    I had thought that adding alcohol to an acrylic paint made it dry faster (accelerator).

7. So did we come to a conclusion here? :)

8. dougp

dougp Active Member

I guess I'll weigh in with my experience thinning my paints. I use all forms of water based acrylics. I do and have used tubes of Liquitex, Golden, Windsor, etc. Currently, I mostly use Poly, Hydro and Createx along with some "custom" colors which I mix by using pigment in a clear Hydro base. I also use "craft paint" such as Delta and Apple Barrel. I've used both denatured and isopropyl alcohol in my paints for decades without any problems. I also use Windex and the off brands of window cleaner. Works great! Another thinner I use often is Liquitex "flow aid". This is a concentrate that is mixed with water. All these have worked for me. Oh, I do use water occasionally, but not often. I like the results of the others better.

I don't know much about "pissing contests" but I do know what works for me with my fish. I have no formal art training. I learned my technique by trial and error and a lot of time and effort. It was always my intent to specialize in fish only. That's just what I wanted to do. I have no interest in mounting anything but fish. I also have great respect for those that can "do it all."

So, for the beginners, you have the opportunity to learn some techniques and get advice from some of the best fish taxidermists or "fish artists", if you prefer, in the world. You can choose to accept or reject that info. You can also choose to "piss on their palette", which really serves no purpose......does it?

DougP

9. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

OH MY LORD! Ok, I have to admit that I had never heard of acrylics with lacquer, thank you to those who educated me. Now can someone please tell me what the hell a Nyala is? I'm just a fish guy.
    And in a sad kinda way....this is pretty amusing to read.

10. Answer: Only when George feels the need to TRY to puff up his ego! George, just for the record, The majority of painting I do on my fish work is w/ Poly Transpar wb paints.I THIN and clean up with DE- NATURED ALCHOHOL w/ NO problems !Like Doug P, I have NO formal art training .I do ,like Doug and Josh know what WORKS! I know my method is sound,and any beginer could pm me for advise any time they feel the need."The older I get, the better i was"??? The quiter I am the better off I'de be might fit you better!GO ahead and spew some more venom George .It's reached the point of being entertainment!

11. DanB

DanB New Member

I'M OUT OF POPCORN !!! Does everyone dislike fish taxidermists? Maybe I should go back to big game again.

Same here Doug. Does anyone do this anymore? It seems like people want instant results anymore.

12. George

Ed, I think if you'd look back, you'd see that it was really YOU who started the "pissing match". You're certainly not someone to point fingers. I notice you didn't offer that you thin acrylic lacquer with lacquer thinner only as denatured alcohol or Windex don't work on those too well.

13. Actualy George, I didn't think it would be necessary to explain something I havn't tried IE:Thinning laquer with windex. ::) I tend to take a military attitude whith others("you'll be informed on a need to know basis").When someone asks me what time it is ,I don't automaticaly feel the need to tell them how to build a clock!

14. Harum

Harum Active Member

Well George,

Seeing as how your last post to me was much more civil I will answer your two questions but first, I never was involved in the dispute over acrylic water based or acrylic lacquer based. If you want to discuss that further I suggest contacting old fart as he usually is the one to bring up the fact that there are both types.
    Now to answer your questions. I'm not a kid and have been around the block a few times. When I was in Junior High I wanted to progress from drawing to painting but being from a large family with little money I just couldn't afford the paint. What I did was collect the spent paint tubes that other students threw away. I would be lucky to find a tube that had more than 1/4 of the paint left and not dried up. What this caused me to do was take the primaries or anything close to the primaries and learn how to create the colors I needed. This also forced me to stretch my paint as far as possible and that meant adding water. It ends up that this was a blessing as it forced me through adversity to learn how to mix and thin my paint. I was painting similar to water colors but added opaque layers on top. It was completely different then what my peers were doing but I liked were it was going. I continued this practice throughout High school and that landed me a scholarship into college. I was not spoon fed the knowledge I posses. So yes I have been there and I most certainly have not lost sight of that. In fact I'm quite proud of it.
    I would rather not point out when you lie, my list is long enough already.

-Pete

15. George

Pete, may I be the one to point out a "prevarication" of yours? The last sentence. All you need was one and providing an Obama like blanket statement like that it cutting pretty close though I hesistate in calling anyone a "liar". When I do, I'll have proof.

16. Harum

Harum Active Member

Here George, This would be why I added the last sentence.

Your statement:
    Now obviously, I'm not on your Christmas card list. That's fine with me, but just remember my signature line. When you catch me in a LIE, please let me know so I can correct it.

My statement:
    I would rather not point out when you lie, my list is long enough already.

By the way if you are truly under the perception of they (the beginners) will listen to you because you speak to their level, you might what to use words with less syllables. You could have just said may I be the one to point out a lie of yours.

17. Harum

Harum Active Member

While I'm here working I was trying to figure out why you thought I had lied… Then it hit me, you actually thought the list I was referring to was a list of times I had marked down of when you lied… Wow you actually thought I would take the time to read all the post you make on here just so I can call you a liar. George you are not that important to me. The list I was referring to is this one: "ignorant hack chemistry challenge crack head that recently fell off an onion truck with the inability to comprehend the English language that likes to blow roses up peoples butts while whining and stirs defecation while grinding an axe" these are the names you have given me in the handful of my post you responded to. I have to admit. I am truly at awe over your Arrogance. You actually think I follow what you write… Wow.

18. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

I forget what I was gonna say....

19. George

Well Pete, the reason I said that was because I'm sure there are lots of "beginners" out there who are educatied enough to understand what I say or have access to a dictionary if I don't. (I hope they don't notice the cheap shot you just took at them.) The "prevarications" I was speaking of are highlighted in just what you've repeated. One phrase there is one that I absolutely NEVER use and is not part of my vocabulary unless directed specifically at a truth and that's "crack head". I may refer to myself as a "hack" but never to an individual on here (possibly toward some unnamed or unknown piece of work posted here, but not the individual), and thirdly, I've never "challenged" anyone as to my chemistry knowlege. I AM amazed at the total lack of it by many here and HAVE remarked that some brash statements are totally impossible from a chemical standpoint that any high school graduate should know. Usually, just like in this instance, when I do point it out, some rocket scientist gets all bent out of shape and starts throwing names at me for having the audacity to point it out. (Sound familiar.)

Now let's do the forum a favor. There's a small square with a tail on it under my avatar. Or there's a letter box there as well. If you want to make it personal, take it personal, then lets go to the personal communications. Otherwise, you get the last shot.

20. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

Well George, if you would just follow your guide lines, and do this forum that big "favor" in preventing another 2 pages of BS caused by you again ::), which of course, you will find a way to dump on others.