1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Life size Crocodile

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mooser, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Might have the chance to get one in. Have never attempted anything of the sort. How much would be a reasonable fee for something of this nature. To be honest it will be my first safari in. Have done misc exotics but nothing like a croc.

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

here is a 17 foot Nile croc i did about 15 years ago we cut it in 3 pieces to make the skin easier to handle i charged $300 per foot as well as i remember the finished mount weighed close to 500 pounds be prepared for a lot of cussing and heavy lifting on one this size :eek: this croc had actually killed several people in a African village and thats why they issued a permit to take him out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    WOW! That's an impressive Croc, and one helluva mount! Nice job! And nice to see you got your head out of his mouth! ;) ;D ;D

John.

4. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

$525 per linear foot...

5. martinp3810

martinp3810 New Member

$600 linear foot

6. Please do not take offence...REALLY??? I am sure they are a lot of work, but really? Just making sure that you guys are not clowning. Are these prices average or on the high end? Thanks for the input so far though.

7. I mounted a 14 footer and it wound up being 7 grand before it was all over...........Still one of the funnest mounts I've done to date! I'll see if I can find some pics and post'em up......

Later,
    Taxi

8. I did this Gator a couple years ago for $350 a foot, made out fine at that price...

Attached Files:

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I've seen prices listed at $6,900.00 - $9,900.00, and listed at $500.00, $550.00 per linear foot. Obviously the price varies.

John.

10. Thanks for all the input guys. Gives me an idea now. I won't lie, I plan on cutting it low just so I can get these pieces in. I badly want to get into the african and exotics. What a better way to break into, with a croc, huh.

11. artwildcreate

Mooser.. I wish your client could read what you just wrote on here.....

12. Micheal...what part do you want him to see?????

Is it the part that I have not done one before so I am going to do it cheap for the experience? Do you think I have not discussed that with him yet? I told him exactly that. "I will give you a price that you can not turn down, because I badly want to get into African and Exotic." He knows that I have not yet done one. I believe in my own ability that it will turn out decent. Even you had a first, didn't you?

13. artwildcreate

Here's a thought.. Charge him full price, then hire an experienced competent taxidermist to mountiit with you. Crocs and gators are not for the inexperienced. That way the customer gets a nice mount, and you learn how to mount one without potentially messing up the customer's trophy....

14. That's a nice thought but for 6,000 to 7,000 dollars to mount, he won't even shoot the thing. Trust me I am competent enough to figure out a gator or a croc. I am sure they are not the easyest thing to mount but I think I can get my way thru it, if he even shoots one. Thanks for caring though.

15. Randy

Randy Huntin Chamios on Mount Cook, New Zealand

I m just finishing a 15' Nile croc. I do lots of African and this croc just kicked my azz, bad. Do not undercharge the croc it will be a bi mistake. I charged 550 per foot and I will NEVER do another for less than 650. I will post a picture soon, turned out great!

16. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Charge him full price and tell him he will get full price quality back. I lost a very big safari doing exactly what you are doing Mooser. He will pay full price for the hunt, why would he want to pay bargain prices for work you are not confident in? There are resources out there to allow you to do a professional job, including going to an experienced taxidermist and paying him or her to work with you. Better to make even or pay a little on your own to gain the experience than lose the client......and mark my words, you will lose the client.