1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need some glue advice

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by passthru, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Trying to finish off the back off my pedestal mount with leather and looking for a good fast setting glue/adhesive that will bond the leather to the form. Did not want to use hide paste, looking for something that sets up faster. Gorilla glue, type of caulking adhesive? What have you guys used?

2. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

When I want it to set fast I have used Bondo works good Mix with a little fiber Glass resin to thin but not alot then put the leather on and smooth thin

3. rebel

rebel New Member

Bondo is not a glue! For fast adhesive i would use spry glue. Spray the leather and the form in a couple of minutes it is ready to stick.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Why not use hide paste??? I no longer staple to the back of any mannikin...I simply apply a thin coat of hide paste and press the trimmed back of the cape into it. Seems that this would work with leather or fabric on a pedestal. Try a small sample piece first. If you are satisfied with it after drying, then proceed with the real backing.

5. bowmantax

bowmantax New Member

Scratch the back of the form to remove the slick suface, wiope the dust off and use hot glue from the glue gun. Fast, Easy, and Cheap. Holds good too.

6. For using a thin, suede type backing, I rough the form, remove the dust, and use spray glue. For thicker leather, like a cow hide split, I have had to use Gorilla glue.

7. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Try spray adhesive (contact adhesive). Clean the foam surface and spray, let dry. Spray the leather, let dry. Spray the leather again, let dry. Now start at one point and make contact and keep working until done. Go slow and it will make a nice finished product.

8. Thanks for the great information. Think I will try the spray adhesive. Will let you know how it works and post a picture of the final product.

9. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

What about this stuff? It's supposed to bond leather and hold quickly.

Fabri-Tac adhesive

Attached Files:

10. Make sure and get a spray adhesive that webs when your spray......Quick Stick 611 is great and 3M also makes some good spray adhesives.

Later,
    Taxi

11. X2
    use high quality 3M adhesive. I bought the cheap Water clean up spray glue once...bad mistake! Did not stick nearly as good as the 3M. Spray form and leather backing both allow to tack-up a little then apply and smooth out. Good luck

12. I have used 3M spray, hide paste, epoxies, and caulk. I like bondo/resin the best.

13. sasamantha

sasamantha New Member

I recently repaired a damaged leather jacket with contact cement, and it remained strong and did not fall after a week. This is something I want to stay flexible but permanently fixed leather glue. The requirement for contact cement use is that you have to spread it on both surfaces, then let it dry for about ten minutes, and then press them together. Once the two dry glue surfaces are in contact, they hardly separate. So make sure that it is placed correctly in the first attempt. It can basically be stored permanently, and the object will not break when bent.

Jmartins likes this.
  14. I would avoid Gorilla glue. It expands into a foamy mess as it hardens. Too risky

15. Robert Wise

Robert Wise Member

206C9F37-77FF-4B4C-927E-222901BFA86D.jpeg I use Cartilageliner Adhesive from Mckenzie. Rough up the back of the Mannikin blow off the dust mix up the components apply . I have the size of backing I need cut a little bigger then I need for adjusting . Let set until it hardens and trim . It’s not fast but it’s permanent no worries. I use the same adhesive to glue down the skin around the mannikin when mounting ( don’t rough the back of the mannikin at this point ) just the edge around the mannikin . This way when your skin is dry you can lift the extra skin up without it gluing down to the rear of the mannikin. I trim off excess with a scalpel ..... your good to go with finishing up the back hope this is not confusing!

16. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I cut my backing pcs to fit before I ever sand or prep form , then I use either contact cement or 3 mspray