1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat head mold question?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by KClem, Mar 19, 2010.

1. KClem

KClem New Member

I'm pretty new to this mold making and have a question. I've got a bobcat thawing out to skin either tomorrow or Sunday depending on how quickly she thaws. The cat has a big wide pumpkin head as compaired to the one on the form I bought. So, I plan to make a plaster of Paris cast/mold of it's head after I skin it and replace the one on the form. Is it better to leave the eyes in the carcuss or remove them during the mold making? How do you recreate the nose area? Any tips are welcome.

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You would be much farther ahead to save it for reference & alter the head on the form to match.

3. scanman

scanman New Member

Leave the eyes in, makes it easier to mold. Make a two piece mold, coat mold with wax and PVA and then cast with foam. This will give you your first cast, now you can mold in the lip line with clay, carve out your eye sockets( using the impression of the eyes which you left in), fill in any defects, etc. The link below shows a picture of a kit fox I did, now I make a mold of that and cast in foam to get my final cast. I don't spend much time on the nose cause I generally cut it out and use clay or apoxy sculpt underneath during the mounting process or use an artifical nose.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,165468.msg1149736.html#msg1149736

4. KClem

KClem New Member

Thanks of the responses. This gives me a plan A and a plan B. I'll alter the head that's on the form, and I'll attempt to make a mold. I'll use which ever one turns out the best. As I mentioned, I'm new to mold making, so I had to check in several of my taxidermy catalogs to see what PVA is. I don't think I can get any delivered by the time I'll need it. By wax I assume you are referring to Johnson's Paste Wax? I do have some Synlube 531. Would several coats of wax and some Synlube 531 prior to casting with foam work?

5. scanman

scanman New Member

You can get by without the PVA, just use three coats of Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax. I've used Paste Wax and wasn't pleased with the results.

6. KClem

KClem New Member

Here's a photo of the mold. It's not much to look at. I think I'll wait till tomorrow to wax it up and pour on the foam.

Attached Files:

7. KClem

KClem New Member

Not sure, but I think I must have done something a bit wrong. The inside of the mold where the cat's head was reminds me of damp chalk. I can rub a finger a cross it and transfers white to my finger. Prior to pouring the plaster of Paris I sprayed the cat head with Synlube 531, could this be the problem?

8. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You didnt need to spray the cat & you MUST wait til the plaster mold is dry before continuing.