1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

just finished 1st badger

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Steve B, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Just finished up this little guy, put it up here to see if you all have any pointers for me as I will be doing another in a little while. Thanks in advace for any input.[​IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Steve32/Picture047.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/Steve32/Picture046.jpg

2. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Very nice Steve, I cant find any flaws. How did ya like turning the ears? I had a heck of a time on my first badger.

3. Steve B

Steve B New Member

Ears are very hard, I dont have openers so I did it with my exacto knife very carefully. And the smell of this thing just awful not sure if they all smell like that or not but I ad a buddie drop by while i was skinning it and it sent him packin LOL.

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Very nice mount!

5. Steve B

Steve B New Member

thanks nina, I have seen some of yours also nice work.

6. Jan

Jan New Member

Nice job Steve. I have one skinned and am waiting on my form. It will be my first badger also. Worst smelling critter I have done so far!

Jan

7. Chad

Chad Member

Ohio
    Great job on your badger. Is that a bought rock or did you make it?

8. Steve B

Steve B New Member

I made the rock, didnt have any rock mix so I used the blue carving foam carved out a base to fit my form after I altered the front leg bondoed the foam to a plywood base, I used fiberglass resin brushed it on the took kitty litter and swirled it in with the resin the resin ate the foam in places giving it a more lava rock look The customer was real happy with it. I am sure this isnt the right way to build a rock but it looks pretty good for my first.

9. Brad

Brad New Member

Congrats Steve , that looks really nice.

10. Trina

Trina Guest

Looks very nice.
    Cute little guys... ;D

11. hidvalltax

hidvalltax Dont travel faster than your guardian angel can go

Looks good Steve for your 1st badger, Where is that badger from?? kinda different color. 2 things I did notice the nose is not angled upwards look at reference, maybe its your picture but the side view it does not look tipped up and the eyes are not symetrical but over all a very good mount here is my 1st badger and good luck to you
    Sandy

12. Steve B

Steve B New Member

This is a northern california closer to nevada line actually, the guy that brought him in found him on the highway after being hit by a car had a little dammage to rear leg but wasnt bad at all. thanks for all the comments this site helps alot of beginners like me. Thanks again I am working of a grey fox next as soon as the form gets here.

13. very nice work also just my opinon maybe curve the nails just alil instead of so stright other than that I think its great

14. paul e

paul e New Member

nice job
    try putting some stop-rot on the ears a little while before you turn them
    it will aid you a little