1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Old Body Paste Recipe

Discussion in 'Taxidermy History' started by WILDLIFER, Feb 20, 2007.

1. WILDLIFER

WILDLIFER " Damn Mini Flesher !"

Dextrine 5 pounds
    Glycerine 6 ounces
    Carbolic acid 2 teaspoonfuls
    Arsenic water 2 tablespoonfuls

Use a 2- or 3- gallon crock for mixing. Bring water to boil .Pour into crock about 2 inches of boiling water,
    then add glycerine , carbolic acid, and Arsenic water, mix well. Add Dextrine, a little at a time, stirring the mixture until smooth.Add more boiling water,mixing gradually until the consistency of thin glue.
    NOTE: Use Only British Standard Gum Dextrine ,# 160

Taken from " Practical Taxidermy " by John W. Moyer - Staff Taxidermist Chicago Natural History Museum 1929 - ???

2. WILDLIFER

Modeling Composition

To the body paste , add ground Abestos, Whiting , or other similar fiber. Work this into the
    paste a little at a time .Consistency of compound can be controlled by the amount of fiber added.

3. hold on

hold on Guest

stay away from the arsenic and asbestos
    Where are you going , back in time
    Dangerous stuff, that's not a good thing to reccommend
    PS. it worked but guarantee it has shortened some old timers lives.

4. WILDLIFER

A lot of Old School Taxidermist did die from these compounds -they died Blind & Crippled

Mounting heads for 8.00 to 12.00 dollars each.

And we all piss & moan how tough we got it !!!!!

5. WILDLIFER

- Please Do Not Try At Home -

These formulas were posted for Historical content Only

6. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

I have the same book. Copyright 1899. All sorts of recipes.

7. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    I don't think it could be the same book Justin. John Moyer's title was copyrighted in 1953 and published in the USA. While over in England, there was yet another book also called "Practical Taxidermy" written by Montagu Browne, curator of the Town Museum in Leicester back in 1884 of which there were two or more editions. Perhaps you mean Oliver Davies book entitled "Methods in the Art of Taxidermy" published in Philadelphia by David McKay in 1900 with an equal amount of historical information. The paste formula as described above was reminiscent of what John Schnieder of NJ had devised and utilized while working in the James L. Clark Studios in 1925. Until that time, a rice paper glue was made and used as per the ingredients of Mr. Toshio Asaida. ( Please see Taxidermy Review magazine, page 14,vol.9, issue no.2, Sept./Oct.1980 in which I wrote and contributed to with regards to John F. Hansen.) For those of you who care to learn more about these old techinques and styles, please know that Mr.Browne's book is currently available at better book storers in re-print form.

8. WILDLIFER

The book I refered too was copyrighted 1953

9. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    What other books do you gentlemen enjoy reading about the"Old Days"? Have you ever seen a copy of "The Wilderness Lives Again" by Mary Jobe Akeley? She was Akeley's 2nd wife. In that book she just about described every technique that Akeley used including the use of a dry preservative for delecate skins such as the klipspringer.

10. WILDLIFER

I've got all of Leon Prays Sketch books & Mounting Guides - that info is timeless!

And I was always a big fan of the "Old " Jonas Bros. ( Coleman was my childhood hero )

Have a few "Modern Taxidermist" Mags floating around here some where !

And of course ,an old set( of " Northwestern School of Taxidermy " lessons - in which I'm a proud Graduate!

11. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Did you say Coleman Jonas?? Do you have a copy of the "Jonas Story"? If not I'll try to get one to you. I have all Leon Pray's books from his early arsenic using days right up to his passing in 1975 when Joe Bruchac published "The Old Taxidermist."
    I have a DVD of Coleman, Guy and John Jonas hunting, sculpting, and mounting a giant Alaskan brown bear that is just awesome. You must tell me more about yourself and where you are. You sound too interesting to go back and forth like this. Ever read the Jonas Technique (by Joe Kish) style of books? The bird mounting book is probably the best ever written on birds. I was fortunate to have been asked by board member Steve Wolk to present another taxidermy history seminar at this year's NTA convention. If I get the Jonas family's permission, I'm thinking about showing that DVD I mentioned. If you think I'm crazy about this stuff, no pun intended I'm sure, you need to meet fellow NTA member Stephen Rogers a.k.a. the Taxidermologist here on these forums. I'm just curious, do you still remember your Northwestern School of Taxidermy ID number and have your old diploma yet?? My number was 746-14C and yes, it's all of 41 years old, but I still have my diploma. It's the only thing my mother keeps of the supposedly phase I was going through then!

12. WILDLIFER

I have all the Jonas Technique books (The Fred Crandall Geometric System of Big Game Mounting is one of my favorites) & yes I still have my NW Diploma ,its hanging proudly on my wall ! Mines only 35 years old.
    Guess I'm just a kid.lol

Feel Free to E-Mail me

[email protected] [

13. Most of us older guys remember our J.W. Elwood original member numbers - mine was from 1968 and was 7010-26AW, and only 39 years ago. We always had to write our membership number on the old order forms we sent in the buy Supplies from the company.

Hide paste came in many formulas. James L. Clark published his formula in 1930 in Museum News and it consisted of water, dextrine, paper pulp, and whiting and on paper deemed it superior to the flour and glue paste used by Akeley (At least that is what he probably used when Clark visited the Field Museum in the early 1900's and sculpted the famous doe mount). Julius Freisser at the field published his personal formula in 1931 that he invented in 1912. He was the one suggesting Asbestos or whiting could be added to the paste to make mache. Undoubtedly Moyer learned the formula from the other taxidermists at the Field since he was primarily a bird taxidermist.

The number of new posters on this forum is amazing. It seemed that I knew most of the regulars before this format, but then people come on and already have a few hundred posts - and I've never heard of them before.

Ken, if you read this - Akeley still isn't in spell check. I'm not sure if there is some way to add his name.

14. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Mr.Rogers, I'm beginning to see why you'd like to have a History category here now. Please make the time to call me when you can.

15. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

60192A

16. WILDLIFER

You all are making me feel bad ,cause I can't remember my ID no.

17. Taxidermologist, do you work at the Chicago Field Museum? If not, happen to know anyone there?

Mr. Janelli, thank you for the book! Very generous of you considering I joined the NTA before you extended the book offer.

18. AndyO - no I don't work at the Field. I do know a few people there but they are in the Scientific Sections of Birds and Herps. I have specimens from my museum on loan to individuals in their museum - even have some currently in Brazil, hand carried by individuals from the Field to a researcher who is describing a new species of Dendrocolaptid.

John, I'm not much for telephones. I'm often very involved in what I am doing at the time, and if I am relaxing, usually don't like to be interrupted. I figure the same for anyone I might call - I consider it bad manners to interupt someone at work. Emails, or forum communication, can be read whenever the person receiving the message has time to read them.

19. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Mr. Janelli,
    You are right. My book is titled "Practical Taxidermy" by Montague Brown. Second edition. On the inside cover of the jacket there is a sticker or label that reads;
    The Working Men's College
    Melbourne
    First Prize
    For: Geology Grade 1
    Awarded to: Reinhold Wilhem
    At Animal Examination held Nov. 1899

I bought the book from a man in Australia. I can't seem to find the publishers year of copyright.

20. There were three editions of the book, and obviuosly a rerpinting of the second edition more than once. The first edition was undated. Ebay has a listing of reprint of the 1884 version for sale.

Brown, Montague. (1882). Practical Taxidermy: A Manual of Instruction to the Amateur in Collection, Preparing, and Setting Up Natural History Specimens of All Kinds. The Bazaar, London. 155 pp. + 20 pp. Advertisements.

Brown, Montague. 1884. Practical Taxidermy: Manual of Instruction to the Amateur in Collecting, Preserving, and Setting Up Natural History Specimens of All Kinds. To Which is Added a Chapter upon the Pictorial Arrangement of Museums. Second edition. L. Upcott Gill, London. viii + 354 pp. + 22 pp. Advertisements.

Brown, Montague (Revised and updated by G. E. Bullen). 1922. Practical Taxidermy. A Manual of Instruction for the Amateur in Preserving, and Setting up Natural History Specimens of All Kinds. Third edition. The Bazaar, Exchange and Mart Office, London. xiv + 281 pp.