1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Would there be a market for a PROFESSIONAL shaving instructional video?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Mar 21, 2010.

1. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    i am interested. Any time i can learn a better way!

2. Put me down for one!

3. shdyhollotaxi

shdyhollotaxi New Member

I'm in also sounds like a great idea. Put me down

Shawn

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Thanks to all!

Another question for yall.

The obdvious points would be covered, like steeling(tuning), guard set-up, etc.

Can any of you, think of a few things you would like to see covered, that are not that common?

Should I touch on fleshing RAW skins also?

5. SkullsnSkins

SkullsnSkins New Member

Ohio
    Whatever can be done with a fleshing machine,in a video, would be a big help to rookies like me. Whatever you decide, put me down for one!

6. red oak

red oak New Member

Hitting on the thined skined animals would be great . Like a lifesize fox or bobcat.

7. paul e

paul e New Member

great idea
    count me in !!

and maybe you count talk about the proper height and stance
    my freakin back ,if i aint just right kills me
    took a lot of practice and time to finf out the right stance and height for me
    a lot of folks would sure like to know your suggestions
    heck even what youd suggest standing on
    i found i needed a 1/2 pc of live rubber(made all the diff. for me)

8. Rhino

Thats a great idea Paul! The ergonomics of the whole thing, would be very important to the Taxidermist that does alot of shaving.

One of the MAIN things I will be concentrating on, is speeding up the average Joe's shaving time. Time is money!

9. Sounds good,get er done. :D

10. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Fleshing raw skins
    Amount of flesh to remove in each pass
    Cleaning the machine
    Height for table (Maybe an adjustable table, someone should market that)
    Proper holding of skin
    fleshing the edges of skin
    Maintenance/care/oiling/fine tuning flesher
    Repairs of over-zealous fleshing
    Thin-skinned animals
    Facial fleshing (whether or not to use a detail flesher instead)
    Areas to concentrate on for thinner fleshing
    Proper care and handling of the hide BEFORE fleshing (Pickling/tanning/etc.)
    Things not to do (In your experience)

All of these are definitely good areas to touch on. I agree that the DVD that came with my Dakota was not as informative as I expected it to be. Looking forward to your DVD!

11. Fleshing facial area would be helpfull, also different types of skins, there must be a lot of difference in fleshing different species. I suppose an elephant skin requires a whole different approach then p.e. a deer skin. What about really large or very tiny skins. I think you would be able to sell your video to each and every taxidermist who does his own skins. I for one would most certainly buy one.

12. Daniel*73

Daniel*73 PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals

Old Shaver,

I would certianly buy one. I just recently got a Dakota 5 and am having a hard time getting the hang of it. Blades are adjusted right but I just dont know when enough is enough and I go to deep then the hair starts coming through the back. Somtimes ALOT of hair and I have ruined several skins because of this. When is enough enough? How do I know when to stop? I get to excited and want to do a good job and, well...Hair loss. Frustrating.

13. Old Shaver,I would definitly buy one,I have been shaving my own skins for 5 years now and I am getting better but I have a long way to go.Proper machine set up and blade guard adjusment are a couple things I wonder if I could be doing better.

14. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I would buy one for sure. What would be even better is some one on one training with an experienced shaver to learn the basics, but the DVD would be a big help.

15. Without a doubt I want one

16. Rhino

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Mr. Cook, I am surprised that you might consider a purchase? I would think you might could teach me a thing or two?

For those of you, that dont know who Buzzi Cook is, he is a Master Taxidermist, that doesnt toot his own horn very much! His work speaks for itself!

Thanks again for the input! Aubrey Young

17. wtkiller

wtkiller New Member

Already a few out the new's one I know of is from Keith Daniels here is a line to it www.Taxidermytoday.net then click on the Instructional DVD's then go down and look for the dvd KD-01 $25.00

18. Rhino

wtkiller, you f'ed up you advertisement! Its Taxidermytoday.com! It was real nice and thoughtful, of a BRAND NEW member, to offer up the info.

If I end up doing this video, I will be charging close to double the price of the video you have mentioned.

I will be damned if I am going to GIVE AWAY over 20 years of blood, sweat, tears! Its value, will speak for itself! I WELCOME the competition!

19. wtkiller

wtkiller New Member

I did mess it up thanks for the note. All I was saying is there are others out there already. It will be good to see more and learn from them as well. By the way I am on here all the time I just do not post for the simple reason is that people like you do what you did in my last post.

20. Rhino

I dont know what I did, other than point out the obdvious, but, if I was wrong I applogise. ???

I hope you continue to post on Taxidermy.net! Dont let one bad apple like me, keep you from enjoying the forum!

Have faith in your opinions. As long as YOU KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT, AND TELLING THE TRUTH, you will be able to look yourself in the mirror in the morning, and HAVE NO PROBLEM with what you see! ;D