1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caribou Ped mount finished

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by hoytman, Mar 21, 2010.

1. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Here is an attempt at my first caribou pedestal mount.. The caribou was the one My 14y/o daughter took this past Sept..

For the form I used a Coombs Pivot pedestal, and had the base custom made here locally.. and I did the sanding and finish work..

Attached Files:

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Re: Caribou Pedestal mount

Couple more pics.. I had to drag it disassemble, and move it outside to take pics.. Back in the house I have 2" of clearance from the ceiling..

Thanks, Hoytman

Attached Files:

3. Re: Caribou Pedestal mount

looks great Jesse,

I'm sure you're daughter is VERY pleased :)

4. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Nice Jesse!! Very nice coloring on that bou!! Good job :)

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Here is a picture of the bull she took.. shot through the nostril, the tounge.. out the lower jaw, in the neck, out the side of the neck and in the shoulder and out the other shoulder.. all 1 shot with the .270.. And I said the whole time.. DONT shoot it in the face... I guess its rack and face was a scope magnet.. LOL

Attached Files:

6. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

LMAO!! Bet that was fun to fix!

7. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Member

Tx

Looks great.. Love those back scratchers.

8. Re: Caribou Pedestal mount

nice mount,
    great shot through the nose..LOL

9. adkgirl

adkgirl Active Member

Beauty! Bet it dropped like a rock!

10. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

[​IMG]

11. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

Love the mount and the story along with it.

12. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

It was actually bedded.. we dropped our big packs and low crawled up to it.. when we got close it wind3ed us I presume and jumped to its feet, spun around and looked right at us laying in the tundra.. We froze. but it was persistant.. so i told my daughter to take a knee and shoot it.. (not in the head).. so she raised up, on a knee so she could see over the grass, etc.. and BAM.. it dropped like a rick, but tried getting up again but couldn't. We waited about 10 minutes, walked over their and noticed its shredded tounge hanging out.. OUCH.. I was like WTF... I told you not in the face.. LMAO..She was pretty darn happy.. then the work began.. cape, meat, horns. etc.. and a pack out of roughly 6 miles to the vehicle..

13. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Member

Tx
    Hoyt

any chances of finding me his brother when I make it up your way?? I like the looks of that 'bou.

And you just HAD to go put that mouflon as your avatar ;D ;)!! I am stil chompin' at the bit to get over there to that piece of property ASAP!

14. camobuck

camobuck New Member

alaska
    Looking good from a distance! Also like that base! Almost a double shovel Bou! Nice...

15. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

The back was finished off with suede leather (elk), and the antlers scored 333 and 3/16 Unofficially..

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Jesse, that Bou and story are GREAT!! I can't wait to spend a couple of weeks with your family!! Miranda and I are so looking forward to the last week of May and first week of June :)

17. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

wow! that is an awesome mount and cool story as well! congrats to your daughter. I hope my daughter and I have a relationship like that when she is 14!

18. Awsome mount. congratulation to your daughter on taking such a beautifully animal

19. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Super nice Bull, your daughter has a wonderful mount to enjoy and remember that hunt with you. Thats what its all about!!!!

20. DustinL24

DustinL24 New Member

great mount. love the pose. Can you tell me what form that is, I have one to mount and the customer wants a similar pose to that but cant seem to find one