1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to ship Aoudad cape & horns from Texas to Alberta, Canada

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by gravesa, Mar 22, 2010.

1. gravesa

gravesa New Member

Hello - I'm a taxidermist here in Alberta, Canada, and I've got a fleshed/salted Aoudad cape and horns (boiled) down in Texas that I'm trying to get sent up here, but I've never had to do this type of thing before. Permits are all in place, however the Brokerage fees are at around $500 (on top of the $375 shipping). Not sure on my options here - is this an acceptable Brokerage fee - do I have to go through a Broke at allr - am I better off bringing it back with me to Canada the next time I'm down in Texas? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Apparently once the permits are in place you can bring it back as personal luggage. I have a blackbuck, same scenario. They just need CITES because they're threatened in their country of origin. 8)

3. gravesa

gravesa New Member

Thanks - I'm leaning towards bringing it back the next time I'm down there to avoid the $800+ charges. The $500 Brokerage fee seems excessive...

4. furcanada

furcanada Member

If this is a CITES species why would you chance taking it across the border yourself?
    What is the value? Are you gifting it or selling?
    Brokerage fee does sound a bit high.
    If you are exporting under a business then you are considered an exporter. In Canada we have to file what we call a B-13 form with Canada Customs stating the value and HS Codes. If the value is over $ 2000 then no B-13 is required for the USA. I am certain you require the same documentation coming this way. Also you should have a NAFTA Certificate.
    Good luck!

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Calvin, it was Dale Warren at Talon that gave me the info on personal luggage. Apparently it falls under the same agreement that allows US hunters to take their black bears with no CITIES. As soon as a broker handles a trophy then all the regular bs kicks in the same as it does for us.

6. furcanada

furcanada Member

Ken, ok that sounds about right. However, is the Alberta Taxidermist the owner or the hunter who personally shot the Aoudad?
    If so then ok. But if not, then its a whole new ball game.