1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ARTISTIC SCHOOL of TAXIDERMY...see what's NEW!!!

Discussion in 'Training' started by Troy Rose, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!!! Just the bi-products of another day in the studio...hope everyone is having a great start to the new season!

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl Member

Gorgeous! I am seriously tempted to attend your school sometime in the future :)

3. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 11/11/2013 For the first time I traveled to a student's shop and instructed him on advanced gameheads over the course of 3 days. Bill is from Grants Pass, Oregon and has been to my studio twice for birds and game heads. This time he was tackling an Arapawa Ram and a Pedestal Red Stag. I was a bit sceptical at first but since Bill had trained under me, I knew he would have most of the tools to get the job done, and since I was in the area for some other business, I decided to give it a shot. Things could not have gone better and his mounts turned out awesome!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 11/24/2013 Hey everyone, here is Ryan with some really neat pieces he did over a 6 day period. Ryan was back for a second go around to learn turkeys, habitat and european mounts. Sorry it took so long to get these posted! Had a great time instructing you Ryan!
    [​IMG]

5. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 12/4/2013 Just completed 15 great days with a delightful young gal Jeni(taxi2882), from Western Washington. Jeni definitely had an eye for detail as it shows in her pieces. Her deer were lacking putty and paint, but none the less, Jeni did a great job on all her mounts! Jeni, you were a great student to teach!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 12/16/2013 Hey Everyone, Ann from Arkansas just finished up 10 long days of training. Ann did a fantastic job on all her pieces, and I must say, what a studious student to teach. We were not able to complete the finish work on Ann's pieces, but none-the-less they all came out great!!!

Well another year has come to an end and I can't think all of you enough for the great memories from the past year. I admire the dedication that each and everyone of you brought with you! I look forward to the coming year and to seeing some of you guys again! Best of luck in your taxidermy endeavors!

[​IMG]

7. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you as well Troy and to all your Gifted Students!

Rick Krane

8. brett lubin

brett lubin New Member

Happy New year Troy. It was amazing all the things I learned while in Idaho. My wife and I are trying to plan a bird class with you this spring some time so I will give you a call. Your recent students should be proud of their work it looks awesome. Great Job everyone.

9. Happy New Year Troy! Thank You for everything
    Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

10. Ryan2782

Ryan2782 New Member

I met Troy briefly a couple years ago through his taxidermy on waterfowl. At that point during our discussion he told me that he also taught students. I was always interested and because of Troys work I had seen, I wanted to learn from him. I wrote down his website and kept reviewing it and researching schools after quite some time I called Troy to book a full week on waterfowl. This is not an ordinary class room setting. You are welcomed into his home atop of a hill side. You are working in his shop which is attached to his house. I brought my own birds to mount with me. When presenting the birds he asked me what positions and style of mounts I wanted to do. There is no set strict lessons like many other "schools" have. With Troy I was able to pick my own birds and learn what I wanted to and what most interested me. Where else can you pick what you learn? This is truly an experience that is a must and should be done by all beginners and even those already doing taxidermy. He answers all your questions, explains the reasons of how and why, and you do the work. When you see how much time he spends with you; you will begin to wonder how you could learn all this at another "school" with several students. You get personal attention to what you do, the detail, and most importantly the correct way. Troy's place is more than three hots and a cot. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are provided and generous portions to make sure you do not go hungry. You're room is very comfy, private bathroom, and TV with satelite. I spent additional time in the shop, and with the views in his open style home with windows viewing the hillsides I spent the time watching whitetail deer, turkeys, and elk walk around the house and on the hillside; so no time for TV. Each morning coffee was brewing and I had a cup of joe, with the morning sunrise to get the day started. After experiencing this first week, I can't believe that I put off learning for so long. I learned so much that in addition to that first week of waterfowl, I have already had two additional classes, I spent 3 days on habitat - this is one of the best things to learn and I recommend to add an additional couple days to cover it as I found out it can be an expensive learning if you do not understand and know what you are doing. Take the extra time, after learning habitat you will understand how to do it right and how much money you will save. The third class I did was on a 3/4 strut turkey. Also, I have additional classes scheduled to learn big game heads. This has been the greatest learning experiences I have had in my life time. Don't take my word for it, shop around, look at other schools, how many students you'll be with, look at the instructors work, and even more importantly look at the students work. You will see that all the students have the same poses on their mounts and they are not up to par of a great mount. There is only one place you learn what you want to learn, how to do it right, how to produce true quality, and this is it!

11. taxi2882

taxi2882 New Member

I spent two weeks working 12-14 hour days working on my mounts. It was defiantly well worth my time and I accomplished a lot. The shop is great and the accommodations are even better. As a new student to taxidermy the one on one teaching worked really well for me. Now I am confident in what I have learned and have opened up my own business.

12. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

It is worth the wait!

Rick krane

13. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 1/25/2014 Calvin, a Northern friend, ventured South for 18 great days of training. Calvin put in some long hours and completed some great pieces! He did a stunner pedestal whitetail, along with several other deer heads and an elk with detachable antlers. We ran short on time and were not able to get his ducks painted, and the elk was still drying. I know I've said it before, but I can't thank everyone enough for the great quality of students I have the pleasure of teaching. Calvin, you did a fantastic job! Hope to see you again soon my friend. Keep in touch!
    [​IMG]

14. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 1/28/2014 Had the pleasure to teach yet another great student from North of the Border. Jake from Canada just finished up 12 days of training. Jake did one heck of a job on his Mtn. Lion. I'm not sure how we pulled it of, but his cat almost fit perfect on the log we found for it. We were not able to complete the finish work on Jake's pieces, but he also did a great job on a lifesize raccoon and a chukar. Way to go Jake! Hope to see you in the future!!!
    [​IMG]

15. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 1/28/2014 Spent 5 great days with Kurt from Wyoming teaching him the art of bird taxidermy. Kurt found out in a hurry that they are not as easy as they look, but he stuck it out and produced some stellar pieces. The pheasant and hun were lacking paint. Good Job Kurt! Nice shirt btw...jk ;D

[​IMG]

16. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 1/31/2014 If Jay looks familiar, well he is. Jay was here last year and learned large lifesize. Jay returned to learn birds and gameheads this time. Jays spent 7 days and busted out some great pieces!!! The reproduction horns from Antlers by Klaus on the bighorn were amazing. Jay, as always you were a stellar student to teach and your company was a pleasure. I probably won't see you back again to learn as there isn't much left I could teach you. Good luck in your new career as a taxidermist my friend, you will do well!

[​IMG]

17. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 2/12/2014 Had the pleasure of instructing Pam from Tennessee for ten days. Pam came to learn how to do ducks and medium life-size. We were not able to get her birds or bobcat painted, or her bobcat put on a natural wood base but none the less, she did a fantastic job on her pieces. Way to go Pam!!! Hope to see you back again.

[​IMG]

18. RiversEdgeIdaho

RiversEdgeIdaho New Member

Well, another great learning experience. I can't say enough about the amount of knowledge available when I go up to see Troy. The birds were an afterthought when I had a client ask about doing a bighorn sheep for his cabin. Since coming home with these great pieces I have booked a bunch of work based on the birds and the sheep. As usual the food and lodging were excellent. I will be back even if it is just for the food and company (and 3:30)! No matter if you are a beginner or experienced I think you have something to gain by going to Artistic School of Taxidermy. Troy has a great eye for detail and will not just let you finish a piece that is "good enough", you will learn how to make it amazing. You will have a whole new appreciation for great taxidermy when you leave at the end of your stay. Thank you Troy, I can't imagine anybody else putting in the time and effort you do.

Jay Myers

19. Naturesway07

Naturesway07 New Member

Troy your students are putting together some excellent pieces with great attention to detail and composition. Great job keep up the good work.

20. Troy Rose

Artistic School of Taxidermy Recent Student Pictures 2/23/2014 Well, once again I had a past student return to learn more. Tina returned for three days to learn flying birds, european mounts, and ask 101 questions on everything under the sun that one could possibly run into in the world of taxidermy. I think I was able to answer 99 of them. I can't thank my present and past students enough for allowing me to teach them. There are many schools out there to choose from, I am truly honored to have so many return students!
    [​IMG]