1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating recipe for dry salted hides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Rocky2, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Rocky2

Rocky2 New Member

I see loads of posts emphasizing the importance of rehydrating dried salted hides before beginning the tanning process, but I can't find a good recipe. Any suggestions?

2. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

check out the tanning section of the forum

3. Louie

Louie New Member

What I use Per Gallon Of Water.
    one lb salt-----an ounce Dawn Dishwashing Liquid----- a capfull op pinesol

4. Rocky2

Rocky2 New Member

Thanks, with that solution how long do you think it will take to rehydrate a salted dried hard black bear hide and would it hurt to leave it in there for a couple 2-3 days?

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Rocky, you'd better do some checking before jumping in blindly. That solution of BW contains detergents and soap (though admittedly very low quantities) which have a high pH and which COULD make the hair fall out. Warm water with salt is sufficient in most cases while there are SOME professional products out there that make the water "wetter" and speed the process. I use a capful of Downey when I'm forced to rehydrate something.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

No. Just a few hours and bag it up. Refrigerate over night to sweat it and you'll be good to go.

7. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Kemal 4 is a safe tanning product formulated for rehydration among other uses. 1/4 cup of salt per gallon is plenty of salt for the solution. I wouldnt leave any hide in the solution longer than necessary. A pickle is the safe place to have your skin.

8. Rocky2

Rocky2 New Member

So a couple of hours in salt water, then in a bag overnight and the right into the pickle. Do I degrease before the pickle or pickle for a day, degrease and then back into the pickle?

9. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Since I see its a bear dont do anything except ship it to a tannery. Bears are NOT for beginners & experienced dermists are to smart to mess with them. Commercial tannery always for bears.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

X10

11. Rocky2

Rocky2 New Member

I wish I could guys, That was my plan, really, I had a tannery all lined up, but in this economy if I want a bear skin hanging on the wall I'm going to have to do it myself even if it's not top quality. And that's what I'm after, a half way decent bear skin to hang on the wall. I don't have to worry about making a picky customer happy like you guys do. AND I have a lot of time on my hands until hopefully some work starts up. Was it Ben Franklin who said a penny saved is a penny earned?

12. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

I think it was penny wise and pound foolish.
    If it is salt dried already just store it until you have the extra couple of dollars to have it done right the first time, you will be much happier with the results.
    Get a couple of smaller critters to tan and when you get sick of looking at them and the hair starts falling out you can just throw them away and have more appreciation for your nice bear hide! IMO

Charlie

13. Rocky2

Rocky2 New Member

You could be right Charlie but how long will it keep salt dried?

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

AMEN!!!

15. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Keep it in a dry cool place and I would say A long, long time!

16. Louie

Louie New Member

Tgere is some really good advice here, especially for the bears, flesh them, dry them and ship them out to those that knopw!!!!