1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need an opinion

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Scott Musgrave, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Getting started on alterations an noticed that the Bears right arm looks or seems to be to long. Am, I seeing things or what? I realize that the shoulder placement is a bit lower than the left and probably should be in this pose. I apoligise if this has been covered a thousand times already. I'm thinking of shortening the forearm about an inch or shortening the paw and moving / resculpting the wristbone higher up on the forearm.

Attached Files:

2. First thing I would do is get a good change out head and throw that one in the trash or carve a rock out of it because that is all its good for.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    A Taxidermist with skill and talent can work wonders with that head ... two qualities that are sorely missing in today's so-called "Taxidermists"! Rework the head!

As for the forearms ... MEASURE THEM! If they don't match do something about it. Don't ask for "opinions". Opinions are like a$$holes ... everybody has one and they're usually full of ... well ... you know! ;)

John.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You did a great job on that yote mount in the 3rd pic! :eek: ;D

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Scott, that form has issues. It's not that the leg bone length is so much wrong as to the anchor points of the "skeleton" it's supposed to immitate. All 4 legs need to be moved up on the body. That form was made fro ease of removal from the mold and nothing else. Try this:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,148325.0.html

6. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Thank You George! Very informative post, I knew something was wrong in that it looked more dog like than bear like. I'm sure I can handle this alteration. Can't wait to get started in the morning. by chance did you take photos of your alterations as you made this thread? If not that is fine. Thank you again.

Scott

7. George

Sorry, no pictures. Juss woids.

8. cooper669

cooper669 New Member

Looks like a deutchland shortlegged yote!

9. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Scott,first,you should never do any alterations without trying the hydrated skin on.Line up every reference point of the skin.The pad on the wrist should line up with that aspect of the form.If you look on the flesh side of a bear skin,the whorl in the hair roots will give you the elbow location.Line that up with the form elbow.If right and left elbows line up and right and left wrist pads line up,the center of the top of the shoulders should be in the right place also.Now,if you have to stretch to get these reference points to line up,and the leg skins won't come together,circumference-wise,that could mean your mannikin legs need shortened.

I can tell you,those mannikins are sculpted using skeletons and the legs will be equal length.The skin from the bear is also used to fine tune the fit of the mannikin.Bears can vary in leg length,especially with sows as their legs tend to be shorter,at least in the front.So you do have to check the fit of every skin to every form.That is not a big bear and younger bears do have a more dog like build than more mature ones.Bears are individual in build,just like humans.they also change their shape from Spring to Fall.That is why you have to double check,and thoroughly,the fit of YOUR skin to the mannikin.

When you get to the rear of your mannikin,pin the tail where it goes and see if the heels will reach where they need to go and that the skin will wrap fully around the ankles and legs.If everything fits,you are good to go.If it is too much of a stretch to get the ankle in place or stretching it there keeps the skin from making it,in circumference,then,you may need to shorten the legs.

I have had good luck with the McKenzie mannikins and have mounted on a lot of them,all the way up to the largest sold.I very often can mount right on them though I sometimes alter the pose,depending.

I can also tell you,they do not alter the anatomy to make them easier to demold.I know the sculptors there and have seen them work.I have also seen the mold making operation.The sculptors sculpt it the way they want it and the mold guys figure out how to mold it.They have some talented mold makers.Lengthening a bear leg will not make it easier to demold.

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have to agree with Jim, Roger Martin is a very talented artist/sculptor.

11. George

Well Jim, I'm nowhere close to being the taxidermist that you are and never pretended to be, but I beg to differ on this one. Never said Roger wasn't a good sculptor or that he didn't use the skeleton, but all one needs to do is look at that form and see that the legs are NOT the same length and that if you mark the ankle, the knee and the hip, you'll find the the hip is setting at the bottom of the flank instead of where it would connect with the backbone as all hips do.

That particular form seems to be a favorite of customers and I've used dozens of them. I have yet to get ONE that fit properly even with the hide measurements correct. The head does, in fact, resemble a German Shepherd rather than a black bear.

One of McKenzies best black bear heads is on Tom Ray's (Rayline) forms. Sadly, he puts Dick Butkus shoulders on the bear and unless you cut out about 12 pounds of foam, that chest will NOT fit the correct sized bear.

Every sculptor has his own interpretations and nuances, otherwise we'd only need one sculptor out there for all our forms. The most "correct" form available today IN MY OPINION is being sculpted by John Schmidt at Van Dykes.