1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FLESHING THE HARD SHEILD OF A WILD BOAR

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by creepers, Mar 28, 2010.

1. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

Can any one give me a clue on how far to go when it comes to fleshing A wild boar shield, i have a very large boar with a very hard shield that i have been working on for some time, i have fleshed down through most of the shield but still cant get down close to the hair endings, the hide is still a quarter an inch thick on the shield and is the texture of ply wood, i have been doing what i can with a good knife cause i don't have a fleshing wheel, any ideas would be appreciated, i have the Rick carter DVD, explaining fleshing wild boar but my Hog ain't that soft !???

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

It ALL has to come off. ALL of it.

3. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    X2 keep at it and you will get it. When it starts looking like the surface of a golf ball your there.

4. sharp necker knife , beam, elbow grease ;)

5. RTtaxidermy

RTtaxidermy My Daughters Elk

Keep your knife very very very sharp
    that the best way to get it off but it all has to come off

6. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

I always take the hog of the shield......... seems easier that way??

7. striker12

striker12 Member

power washer 3000 psi carefull behind the ears works best for me

8. JUST AINT GONA HAPPEN THAT WAY....lol

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LMAO X2 This is one of those jobs "you can't get there from here" without some real hard work. I use my fleshing machine. I had an old guy who told me the easiest way to get it off is to lay the hide out in the sun for a couple days. He swears it "rolls right off". Now I know hogs are tough, but I'm NEVER going to try and see if they're THAT tough.

10. 3000 psi power washer and a turbo tip. Works everytime. A buddy of mine just did one yesterday with a 3000 psi and turbo tip. the key is the turbo tip and keeping oil in the pump.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I do as bo-n-aro does, I remove the skin off the shield, you can warm the skin side in the Sun just enough to get the fat melting, NOT a couple of days in the sun, an hour will do it on a warm day, then use a long flat butcher knife and slice between the skin and shield just like Rick Carter shows you how to in his video. You need that video anyway.

12. DustinL24

DustinL24 New Member

i just did two boars. one had a smaller shield but the other was much thicker and also was liking cutting into wood. I used a paper weel and kept my knife razor sharp but even with that it was difficult. I was sending them to the wildlife gallery to be tanned and they informed me of a method that would save me some work. First, take it down until you can just start to see where the hair endings are showing through. then make hatch cuts all over the remaining shield to allow for your salt to fall down into the cracks. When i stopped cutting i may of had about 1/8 or so of shield left on. This method worked well for me and i just got my hides back with no problems. This will only work if your sending them out for tanning, if your doing the tanning then yes it all has to come off.

13. DCon

DCon New Member

Buy your form first, some of them don't even use much of the shield area, especially the offset forms on one side. Also, the nape area is easy to shave too much. If you do, you'll loose a lot of the hackle hair. Be careful there and on the belly area.

14. SHARP is the key,very sharp,in fact I cut the hell out of one of my fingers today on my knife.But band-aids aside IMO a draw shave works better on the shield.the straight edge is less likely to "Scoop and dive" like a knecker knife.A knecker works wonders on all but the shield,I use both types.The lard ball pigs take me 15 min. average and 400lb. with with shield 25-30,and they are nice and close,lips everything from the nose back.How long does it take to set up a pressure washer,hook up hoses,put on a rain suit and rake your yard afterwards??

15. okiesooner

okiesooner New Member

Did you just say that can flesh a whole boar cape in 30 minutes?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes he did, said it back in March 29th, six months ago.

17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

And he still can, several times a week on average.

18. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

I fleshed this one in 30 minutes took a brake 30 more minutes took another brake 30 more minutes then I got mad and thru it in the fridge ate dinner went back finnished it 30 minutes later.
    But I still love hogs!

Attached Files:

19. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use a pressure washer for lots of things, but I have never been able to do anything with a hog shield using the pressure washer...even with the turbo nozzle.

20. okiesooner

okiesooner New Member

Appologize, thought that was a misprint. Oct 9th 2010 Today