1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FLESHING THE HARD SHEILD OF A WILD BOAR

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by creepers, Mar 28, 2010.

1. striker12

striker12 Member

the trick to the power washer is to work back and forth in one spot until you get under the shield. then work back and forth under the shield with small strokes in a slight angle to cut down on blow back
    my washer goes higher than 3000 psi but i've rarely had to turn it up any higher than that . and yes the turbo tip is a must .
    and it dose happen like that . think about it you can cut a piece of 3/4 inch ply wood in half in no time but there is a trick to that also just because you haven't figured out how to do something doesn't mean it cant be done

2. creepers

creepers natural history preparator

Thanks to all, its finally looking good! ;)

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Stop hacking at it and get rid of it. Cut completely through the underside of the shield until you are near the hair endings. Cutting a 1/4 inch deep at a time just means you have to do it all over again.

4. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

X2

5. Joey did you score the shield? I score the shield in 2 inch squares. Ijust did one it was way to cold to do the pressure washer. and it had almost three inches of shield. I got the wife to help!!!

6. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

Thanks for the post...you've now scared me away from ever doing a wild boar! :eek:

7. Took the shield off a 400lber yesterday. Took about 30 minutes. Used a large sheffield fleshing knife. Like Rick said do it all at once not 1/2" at a time. Trick it to have the knife very sharp.

creepers likes this.
  8. TMalone, I'm kinda afraid to ask. Are Booger Hollow and Toad Suck real places?

9. ArBowhunter

ArBowhunter New Member

Yes they are real places along with goober town and bald knob. Welcome to Arkansas. Lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Yep!

11. creepers

Thanks to all the pig worked out in the end, but im sure leaving a hide in the sun is something a fool would do ??? unlesss you want the hide to smell like dead rotting pig?

12. This is gonna make some guys mad, but I actually HEAT up my knife till it's almost red with a propane torch and then start cutting through the shield.
    It comes off like butter. I used to have a good friend of mine pressure wash them off, so I can tell you, pressure washing works, but so does my trick! Good luck

13. Frog

Frog New Member

Here's a video of how I do them from the tutorials page. I use a draw knife its the easiest way I've found to get them off. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,339655.0.html

14. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

X2

15. creepers

Thanks frog, your a gentleman

16. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I did 2 a few years ago that had a very thick hard shield... I used a very sharp fleshing knife to do the first one, and after 3 hours and 4 stitches in my thumb later I got it off.....

The second I found a fleshing machine cheap, put a new blade on it and took about an hour (the first time I used the machine) but now it takes about 30 minutes with my Dakota V.... best investment I ever made.

Be sure and get Rick's pig video! That help as much as anything.