1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Busted! Antler and Horn Repair,Updated

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Jim B, Mar 28, 2010.

1. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Re: Busted!

Just saw this for the first time...Nice work.

2. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

Re: Busted!

awesome job jim

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Re: Busted! Antler and Horn Repair

truly an artest at work. great work.

4. Re: Busted! Antler and Horn Repair

I am just starting out and going to school, that is mind blowing how that looked when you got done.

5. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I am getting ready to finish my first anlter repair. This tutorial will definitely be a big help. Hopefully mine will turn out half as good as Jim's. Thanks, Jim. Great work.....

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Uhhh which one was busted??

7. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

This is an amazing post, and a great tutorial. Thanks Jim, truly awesome!!!

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thank you Jim!!!

9. Re: Busted! Antler and Horn Repair

Thanks!! marking

10. bucknduck

bucknduck Member

Awesome work man! Thanks for sharing the techniques!!!

11. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Very nice!!!

12. FinFlight

FinFlight TRAIL CREEK

THANKYOU VERY MUCH I HAVE AN ANTLER I NEED TO REPAIR AND YOUR STEP BY STEP WAS VERY USEFULL THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME AND KNOWLEDGE.

13. Re: Busted! Antler and Horn Repair

Graet job

14. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Thought I better do an add-on.This is a California Bighorn that was shot through one horn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The entire cavity,both sides,was filled with Magic Smooth,after all splintering was removed.Epoxy was worked into all cracks.The following day,it was rasped to make sure there was room for 1/8" of space for the next layer of epoxy.
    [​IMG]

15. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Like the earlier sheep,a small amount of raw sienna was mixed into All Game and applied to the horn.As before,at first smoothing out,getting the thickness and general shaping.Once it was as detailed as I dare get in it's soft state,I came back about every half hour and cut in finer detail.This was repeated until it was too hard to work.The next day,a little fine sanding was done on the high spots as they get worn and texture isn't as strong there.

16. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

After the light sanding,I mixed up a thin wash of Raw Umber and started working over the repair.

When using washes,a transparent color,be aware that if the wash laps over the existing horn,you will have double color in that perimeter area.That will be a dark shadow line that frames and points out your repair.If you get that lap-over,go back with a damp Q tip or small artist brush and remove that was outside your repair.
    [​IMG]

17. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

This elk had about 12" broken off a 4th tine.A tapered,1/2" threaded rod was epoxied in after bending to shape.The screws around the base held the rod steady while the epoxy cured but more importantly,they give the next layer of epoxy something more to hang on to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

After the rod was solid,I covered it with Magic Smooth and the following day rasped it into shape leaving room to add app. 3/16 layer of All Game.

Magic Smooth is a good first layer as gets into pores,sticks tighter and is stronger than the filler,sculpting type epoxies.However,I should have used a smaller layer because that stuff was too much work to rasp.

The following day,I applied a layer of Magic Sculp over that.I left it thicker than the shape I wanted so I could rasp and sand it into shape.
    [​IMG]

19. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

The following day I rasped and sanded it into shape.I ground the texture into it with a Dremel.Texture molds have their place but here,I needed to match all the existing grooves and ridges of the existing antler.That would be impossible with a texture mold.After grinding,some judicious sanding helped blend and soften the texture.
    [​IMG]

20. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

The only color needed was raw umber.The painting methods were described earlier in the tutorial.
    [​IMG]