1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

no respect

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by justin33, Mar 29, 2010.

1. justin33

justin33 New Member

Tired of reptile taxidermy not getting the respect it deserves. Spent 200+ hours on a piece, scored a 96, did not win any special intrest or major awards. Lost best of show profesional to a deer fawn that scored a 91.
    Where's the love.

2. dannyk

dannyk New Member

It sounds like you were at a state competion. Everybody get's ribbons but it's who you know is how you get major awards.

3. that sucks i dont do reptiles but the work you guys do is awsome would be a shame if thats what it boils down to is who you know to win major awards

4. justin_b

justin_b Just sayin...

WI
    I don't know about the reptile man, but you should have won simply because you shoot Elite!! ;D

5. GySgt401

GySgt401 New Member

Sound like you put a lot of work in to your mount and that in it self means that you took your time and studied your piece, I applaud you for that.
    most state shows will go for the cute piece over a reptile and some judges really don't know much about them so they don't under stand the amount of work that go's in to it.
    I have been competing for almost 20 years now and I wish I had a dime for every time a judge told me "I really don't know much about reptiles but it looks good" . keep up the good work and it will pay off.
    Dave

6. justin33

justin33 New Member

This judge was Frank kotula, and of all the judges I've talked to in the past, he seamed to really know what he was talking about. Talked to him for quite a while and got a great crituique. Unfortunately, I think dannyk was at least partially right. I would love to have a show with fifty reptiles in it. The bird and mammal guys would [email protected]#* when they saw how much work goes into it. I hear all the time, "great turtle man, it was awsome". Unfortunately the board, and the other competitors look at my work like a novelty. I may as well be entering with a swamp bugger.
    Again I ask,
    Where's the love?
    P.S. next year I want to take a skin mounted amphibian. Nobody even has a catigory to put it in?!?!?

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's a little surprising. At our show that would have won Best of Show Professional, because it is determined by score. Bring it over here in July and maybe you'll get that award you're seeking, not to mention get a critique from reptile expert Manny Chavez. ;)

That's one of the dumber statements I've read in a while. Maybe Alabama is different, but no state I've ever been to awards things that way.

8. GC

GC New Member

If it's the piece I think it was I was very impressed with it. I am a bird guy, but even I could see that was a well done piece. I actually thought it could have won a major award. Don't give up man....take it to the world show, 200 hours deserves that it be shown to a larger audience anyway!!

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Screw competing. When I do a reptile, I send Tom pics, and ask him how it looks. Or when he's here he looks at them. Of course he tells me I suck LMAO, but I know he knows what he talking about. I don't want, or need any ribbons. I just want to improve.
    Yes I know it can be fun, and you can learn from them but this is the exact reason I don't/wont compete.

10. Total BS in my book, Justin. You know I'm with you on this. Everyone knows what went down, and the word spreads quickly. It's unfortunate that the state doesn't realize they shot themselves in the foot on that one. I think all memberships should be done away with, and the show should be for profit, if they aren't going to follow their own rules at a competition. Bylaws should be followed as well, and the members should not be ridiculed at a member's meeting for voicing their opinion.

Some of these conventions hurt more than they help. ::) I can't wait till next year. ;D

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Well those of us that do compete are glad you don't. Attitudes like that are what is wrong with competing. You have to remember it's opinions, and not everyone has the same one. I've only been competing for a short number of years, and I've had good shows and bad. If you can't just roll with it and learn something, then you shouldn't be there. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. I do have to laugh when I hear guys like you Redwolf who have sworn off competing, because I know how much learning you are missing out on by sitting on your ass at home, and those of us at the shows just continue to get better and better and yes, our customers are noticing.

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Cole, I didn't say I wont go to a comp, I said I wont compete. Notice I said "Yes I know it can be fun, and you can learn from them"?
    Jesus you people need to lighten the hell up. Go compete if you want to, I just choose not to.

13. Bob, maybe you should go fishing today. ;D

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You just said the reason you don't compete is because you feel it is political, and you have to know somebody to win. (not true by the way) It sounds to me like you can't handle it, so it's probably better you don't. Going to a show is fine, but having an expert look at your work and tell you what mistakes you are making is important to getting better.

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Cole I NEVER said it was a "political" thing. ???
    I do have people look at my work, and they are judges at comps. Like I said, I don't want a ribbon, I just want to improve.
    If one judge at a comp says a piece is great, and another judge says it's not good enough for a ribbon, which one is right? Now if they give good, solid advice on how to make it better I can see how it can be fun. And I'm sure hanging out with other taxidermists and getting ideas is great too.
    I'm not saying don't compete, I'm just saying competing isn't something I'm interested in.

16. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

If I could lift my DAMN arm I probably would :D

17. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

If you only knew how true that is ::)

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I guess I just misunderstood you.

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I have yet to know a judge that was judging my piece, and I've competed out of state where I knew almost NO ONE THERE. I've done just fine, and actually have had my best luck out of state. ::) ::)

20. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Maybe it's not who you know but WHO YOU ARE ::) research the last two years at Arkansas ::)