1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dispatching snakes

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by ikillsdeer, Mar 29, 2010.

1. ikillsdeer

ikillsdeer New Member

what is the best method of killing rattlers for use in taxidermy ? i plan do do some collecting and trade them here on the forum.

2. hunt439

hunt439 New Member

freezer a couple days and its done. No damage.

3. ikillsdeer

ikillsdeer New Member

im not to keen on the idea of carrying around a bunch of live rattlers though :eek: i was more looking for a way to immediately dispatch them while hunting ;D

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Good luck :D

5. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Really the best meathod is into the freezer alive for at least 8-10 hours, espically if they are for taxidermy purposes. Snakes are VERY susceptible to deterioration quickly after being killed and this usually causes slippage. I catch 20-30 a year and they go into a bucket with a lid and then into the freezer. they are dead with in 8-10 hours but 24 hours is fine if it makes you nervous

6. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

Get a igloo ice chest and put 2 buckets in it. Surround with dry ice. As you catch them drop in bucket, they will coil and freeze in that position. Here is the kicker! Put wax paper in between so they don't stick together. When you get home, just leave them in the igloo with all the dry ice for a couple of day's, they will freeze solid. Make sure you ducktape cooler seam. You can't just put one piece of dry ice either. You need about a $100 worth. But you will be good from the field to the shop. Always be carefull when removing and relocating them into the freezer. Good luck!

7. X 100000

I know of no easier and safer method

8. bear_country01

bear_country01 Active Member

Good method but YIKES That would suck to freeze to death. I'm to chicken chit to handle them things

9. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

For mammals, freezing to death could be very uncomfortable. Not so much for reptiles. They are cold blooded. Being put in the freezer just causes their metabolism to slow down to the point they fall asleep. They just don't wake up.

10. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    12 guage shotgun j/k

11. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

The trick is to leave them in the freezer long enough for ice crystals to form in the lungs and heart. When this happens it destroys the organs. You don't want to just throw them in for a couple of hours, heck, I have seen them appear to defrost and be very alive. They have to freeze solid. And remember if you are stacking them in a bucket, it will take longer for the ones in the middle.

12. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

If thats the case you won't get squat for them unless they are properly HANDLED and that means freezing alive. If you can't do it, leave it to the experts. You don't want bit and you don't want to give people crappy specimens, if your not willing to handle them alive and freeze them then you might as well use a 12 gauge slug on them, because freezing them is the BEST way for them to be handled. If we are going to buy them or trade other things for them thats the way we would like them. There are usually great snakes available on here and they are always caught live and frozen and normally they only go for about $1 a foot. Rough way to make a buck if you don't have your heart into it. LOL Good Luck brother. Dan

13. I went snaking around on our 13 acres out here...didn't turn up much other than a few garter snakes and a hella buncha blackberry briar scratches...looks like time to head to the lake for cottonmouths today

14. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

"ikillsdeer" if you want to catch snakes safely go to eBay and buy you a set of snake tongs at least 36" long. If you plan on catching large snakes, also get you a hook or a golf club to stabilize the other end while placing in your container. A tall garbage can with a lid works well for holding the collected snakes.

15. Be sure to buy one that is not cheap plastic...the first snake tongs i got off Ebay were 36 inch long and painted plastic...tried the out and they broke right at the coupling where the wire joins...

Bought a better pair of steel ones for a little more money and they are about 4 feet long

16. kahoff

kahoff New Member

Amature question here.. but even after a snake is frozen and then thawed couldnt the venom still be dangerous to work around and do you keep the real fangs in the snake for an open mouth mount? Not that I plan working on them any time soon cus they give me the creeps, but it was something I've always wondered.

17. Yes the venom can still be dangerous...i keep empty syringes around to drain the venom sacs with

18. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Yes the venom can still be dangerous, but as the time goes by in the dead snake it is less potent. Snake venom is some what like a live virus and once dead..... well you get the picture, it looses most of it's properties over time. I would worry more about trying to remove fangs and venom from a snake that I intended on skinning more than if I was to completely ignore them. I've skinned many snakes and usually if I get pricked it is by one of the grabber teeth instead of the fangs, which are tucked nicely up in their protective sheaths out of the way. Now for you that have to go and **** with them, then yes you run a chance of coming in contact with fangs and venom. ;) :D

19. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Elky you have to change that dang avatar. Every time I see that damn thing I think it is Michael P's avatar. ::)

20. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

Well, psycho, I see your avatar, and for a moment it seems like a real baseball team. :)

Good to see you on here strong again.